2

I lay in the soft grass below the wagon, wrapped securely in the thick wool blanket. Margaret Hoskins had given it to me before I left. Above me, the black velvet sky gleamed with twinkling stars. The night air was crisp, but not un-comfortably cold. Many of the travelers were already sleeping, grateful for a break in the long journey.

Rolling partially over, I glanced at the spot where Dell lay quiet. Though I referred to him by his formal title out loud, we were on familiar terms in the privacy of my thoughts. I could tell he was not sleeping by the set of his shoulders, his deep steady breathing not relaxed. He'd been kind, attentive, and always on hand to help me when I needed it.

The brief moments we'd touched had begun to feel more personal. His fingers lingering a second too long, his grip a fraction too tight for what was appropriate. During our meal breaks he often sat with me, engaging me in conversation. In those moments he'd look directly into my eyes, smiling warmly. Though I tried to hide it, I was indisputably growing fond of the handsome driver.

We had been riding together for more than a month now, and he told me much about the Great Plains that surrounded us. He was unpolished and had little schooling, but I found him fascinating and warm, his manner politely respectful, even occasionally charming. Though still a young man, he had made this trip five times already. His worldliness was comforting, as was the gun strapped to his hip and the Winchester rifle always nearby. The area was not tame, the Indians wild and fierce.

Dell had spoken of the times when the nations were on the warpath, attacking wagon train and enemy nation alike, shedding much blood. We were making our way through the Pawnee nation's territory now, but he'd assured me the odds of an attack was small. Lately there had been little in the way of trouble from the native people, as they had been focusing their attention on the weapons stocks at military forts. 'But it paid to be on your guard', Dell said. As I could tell he had much experience, I was happy to be under his care.

As if he knew it was my gaze upon him, Dell rolled slightly to look across the space between us, his face in shadow. Prickles raced up and down my spine, but I did not move and neither of us spoke. It was strangely intimate, just lying there breathing quietly, steadily watching each other. A bubbling laugh began to build within me, and I could not help but smile. Across the short distance, against the darkness of night I saw his teeth flash as he grinned back at me. We held that moment for a long while, so many things unsaid, but so much communicated in the dark. Eventually exhaustion pulled at my eyelids, and I slipped into dreamless slumber.

The next I knew a gentle hand was on my shoulder, waking me to the darkness of predawn. It was the oldest of the three women I shared a wagon with.

"Miss Connolly, the men are getting set to eat breakfast and want to make sure everyone eats. Wagon Captain says as soon as we eat, we're leaving. He thinks bad weathers coming before too long."

"Thank you, Missus Martin."

Sliding out from under the wagon I got to my feet, slowly rubbing the sleep from my face. The blisters on my feet stung, and I winced, biting my tongue. How many miles had I walked?

The morning air was clear and cool as I rolled my blanket up and stowed it in the wagon. Frost was on the ground and wagon frames, though there was no snow. It grew colder every day, and I worried it would start snowing before the train made it to the last stop. How would we mange if the storms came? Running fingers through my long tangles of wild curls I twisted them in place at the back of my neck, pinning them down.