21

Sunoo led Yeonseo to the palace balcony that was facing the royal garden. She stood behind him, confused and waiting for him to speak with anticipation. He turned around as he had his hands clasped together behind his back, "Yeonseo-yah."

His voice was stern and frightening. There was no glint of softness in his eyes. She gulped and lowered her gaze, "Yes?"

"I can't believe you embarrassed me in front of the princes. An inappropriate test? And then embarrassing them by saying 'their body is not to your liking'?" He raised his voice.

She felt her heart beating out of fear. She held her tears that were threatening to fall. She took a deep breath before gathering the courage to look at him.

"I don't want to get married."

He scoffed, "You have to. It's our mother's last wish. How would she feel if she finds out her daughter has already embarrassed our family with the stupid test?!"

"But have you guys ever asked what I want? You can't just force me into getting married. Sunoo-yah, I'm sure you also want to marry someone that you love. So why can't I do the same?" Her voice broke at the end of the sentence.

She blinked her tears away and let out a scoff, "Why am I crying?" She murmured. Sunoo sighed and looked away, "Then, who is it that you want to marry? Who is this person that you love?"

Who is the person that I love?

I tried to understand my feelings towards Sunghoon but it wasn't that serious. I was just attracted to him but I never loved him.

The thought of Jungwon crossed her mind. Her heart suddenly fluttered as she felt like butterflies were flying around in her stomach.

Should I just give in? Maybe I shouldn't change the history. Maybe I should just let it be.

And love Jungwon.

"What if he's not a prince? What if he isn't a member of a royal family?"

The King narrowed his eyes, "What are you saying, Yeonseo? Are you serious? Do you even know the reason why we're forcing you to marry a prince?"

She stayed silent, letting her tears trickle down. He ran his fingers through his hair tiredly, "Once you marry a commoner, you will lose your title. Our late father doesn't want that. Mother also doesn't want that. We want you to live a comfortable life. It's better if you even get the 'queen consort' title."

She wiped her tears with the hem of her sleeve, "Maybe I don't want to live a comfortable life. I can take care of myself, Sunoo. And I can choose my future husband by myself. The only thing you need to worry is about your future consort."

The King sighed and nodded, "Fine. Do whatever you want. I can't even look at you now. I will not be attending your birthday banquet tonight. Just do whatever you want."

She watched as he left her alone on the balcony. She clenched her fists as she averted her gaze to her garden.

So this is how Kim Yeonseo feels when she has to tell her brother. About her feelings towards Jungwon.

🌷

The long-awaited banquet was finally being held. All the royal family from another kingdom came and greeted the other guests. There were even noblemen and ministers that came.

Sunghoon sat at his table with his parents. He looked around, noticing that the princess was nowhere to be found. Jungwon who sat at another table with his family noticed that the princess's seat was empty.

Jay who sat next to him leaned closer to whisper, "Where's Sunoo?"

"He decided not to come. He said that he was busy."

The crowned prince scoffed, "He must be angry at the princess. He wouldn't miss his sister's birthday banquet even if he's busy."

The nobleman thought for a while, if they argued, then, would that mean Yeonseo will also not be attending the banquet?

He stood up and bowed, "Excuse me," before leaving the banquet. He wandered around the palace, searching for the princess.

He finally reached the garden and saw her squatting near the pond, throwing small rocks into the water. He cleared his throat to inform her that he came. She glanced at him before rolling her eyes, "I'm not going to the banquet."

"Did something happen with His Majesty?"

"He's angry that I didn't want to get married," she stood up and dusted off her dress. "Then, what do you want to do now, Your Highness?" He asked again.

"Probably nothing. If Baekhee finds me here, I'll just run away. I don't want to meet anyone."

He let out a soft chuckle. She couldn't help but smile. He thought for a while, "Then, would you like to join me exploring the town?"

"You mean escaping the palace?" She asked and he nodded. Her lips curved into an excited smile, "Let's go," she said and linked her arm with Jungwon's.