45

Heejin watched as the last assassin's head rolled over the floor. She dropped her sword which was already stained with blood and panted tiredly. She wiped her sweat with the back of her hand and ran immediately to the entrance.

She went out of the palace and saw her husband whom she longed for, staring at her too. Her heart fluttered at the sight of him as her legs instantly brought her to him.

"Sunoo!" She called. The King heard her and also sprinted towards her. Her lips curved into a relieved smile when she felt him coming closer.

Suddenly, an arrow stabbed her in the chest. She breathed out in pain before falling to the ground. She averted her gaze to the roof of the palace, seeing Sunghoon standing there with his bow and arrow in his hands.

"Heejin-ah!" Sunoo kneeled in front of her as he let her lay in his arms. She blinked her eyes slowly before reaching her hand to caress his cheek, "It's really you."

"Heejin, you're going to be okay."

"Don't be sad. Don't blame yourself. I want you to know that I don't have any regrets about marrying you. I love you, Kim Sunoo."

"No, don't say that!" The said king sobbed, tightening his grip around her wrist.

"Can I have the last kiss?"

Her soft voice requesting a kiss made his heart shatter. His breathing started trembling out of fear of losing her. "You're not leaving, Heejin."

He leaned in for a kiss and felt her tender lips comforting him. They both pulled away, making her chuckle. "It hurts, Sunoo. My chest."

That was all she said before closing her eyes and falling into the darkness forever. Sunoo whimpered and saw his wife's hand slowly dropping like her soul has left the body.

He leaned in closer to hear whether she was breathing or not. She searched for her pulse and found nothing. Jay who just arrived with his guards gasped at the sight of his friend on the ground with his lifeless beloved wife.

Sunghoon sighed and smirked before taking out a gun from his pocket. He slowly moved his arms to aim at his newborn nephew. Yeongwon was still being held by the physician close to his chest.

He counted to three in his mind and pulled the trigger. The bullet instantly shot into the newborn child's forehead.

Yeonseo flinched at the sudden gunshot. Her eyes widened at the sight of her son's forehead oozing out blood. It felt like the world had stopped spinning. Her ears started to ring as she heard muffled sounds of people screaming and crying around her.

Jay glanced at the rooftops and screamed, "Park Sunghoon!" He snatched a gun from one of the guards and shot the East Prince in the head.

Sunghoon's body fell off the roof and onto the ground. His blood started pooling on the ground, creating a scary sight for the people around him.

The princess felt her knees weak and sat on the ground, still in denial that her newborn son had died.

Jungwon quickly ran to his son and shook his body gently, "Yeongwon-ah."

"Yeongwon-ah, please. This isn't happening."

"Yang Yeongwon, please live. Please!" Jungwon felt his tears falling against his cheek, "Yeongwon-ah!"

He held his lifeless son in his arms before hugging him, "Yeongwon!"

Yeonseo felt her tears threatening to come out. She sat still on the ground, still in shock and disbelief. She averted her gaze to Sunghoon's dead body and the blood that painted the ground.

Jay ran towards her and held both of her shoulders, "Yeonseo-yah, are you okay?"

"Jay, is my son dead?" Her voice started to tremble. She looked at him with teary eyes and let him help her to stand up. She walked to Jungwon and gently traced her son's facial features.

"Yeongwon," she called with her quivering voice. Jungwon laughed in between his cries, "This is a joke, right? My son is not dead, right?"

He glanced at the bullet that was in Yeongwon's forehead. His arms became weak and his body was starting to become tired due to all the crying.

Jay wiped his tear that escaped unexpectedly. He glanced at Sunoo who was still crying with his lifeless wife in his arms. He felt sorry for Jungwon who just got to meet his son for the first time.

He knew Jungwon wouldn't expect that his first time meeting his son would be the last.