35

Yeonseo and Jungwon had finally read their vows. It was finally Sunoo's turn to give them his official blessings as the king. Mr Bae silently walked to the altar and handed him a document.

The King stood in front of the couple and watched as they both kneeled in front of him with their head lowered. He took a deep breath before reading the document.

"I have a few things I would like to say before I give my blessings to this couple. All these years, the royal family have stated that a family member will lose their title once they marry an outsider."

Yeonseo tilted her face to look at him. Sunoo continued, "Since I am the king, I have every right to change the law. From now on, a royal family member will not lose their title if they wish to marry an outsider. And this law will go on to future generations. Until the future king changes it."

"Princess Yeonseo will still keep her title as Her Royal Highness, the princess. Even if she's married to Lord Yang Jungwon."

Yeonseo immediately stood up and went into Sunoo's embrace. She didn't care whether it was because of the hormones or not. She tried to suppress her tears as she buried her face into his chest.

The King chuckled and patted her back gently. "You have to pull away now. How can I bless your marriage if you hug me like this?" He whispered into her ears.

She grinned and stood next to Jungwon again, waiting for the priest to continue with his announcement. Sunoo went to the side of the altar and watched as his sister was about to be the wife of his best friend.

"I, now, announce Lord Yang Jungwon and Her Royal Highness, Princess Kim Yeonseo, husband and wife. You may kiss the bride."

The nobleman flashed her his infamous soft smile before caressing her cheek. He then leaned in for a kiss, earning cheers from the guests.

Baekhee sobbed as she sat next to Mr Bae. Heejin who was sitting on her left side chuckled and handed her a handkerchief.

🌷

The wedding ended and the sun was almost setting. Sunoo had held a party at the ballroom and talked with the other guests that congratulated his sister.

Yeonseo had changed into a simple dress, feeling relaxed that she doesn't have to wear the heavy gowns anymore. She smiled and thanked the people who congratulated her and saw Jungwon laughing with Prince Jay.

She turned around and widened her eyes at the sight of Sunghoon approaching her. He had this scary aura that she was afraid of. She slowly backed away, not wanting to make it obvious.

He grinned, "Congratulations, princess. You're finally married. To my best friend."

She stayed silent and just nodded before giving him an insincere smile. He averted his attention to his small baby bump, "What gender do you think it is?"

"Probably a boy? I don't know. It's still too early to identify."

"Look," he sighed, "I just want to apologise for my behaviour two weeks ago. I didn't mean to push you. Your wrist was sprained because of me."

"Well, it's not nice to argue for a long time. I'm sorry too, for rejecting your offer to marry me. I just don't love you more than a friend and a cousin."

He nodded and excused himself before joining in Jay's conversation with Jungwon.

🌷

Baekhee lay on the cold kitchen floor, her blood oozing out from her chest. She tried to reach the knife that Sunghoon dropped but failed. She felt weakness taking over her body.

Baekhee was happily making chamomile tea for the princess in the kitchen. It was empty and quiet since all the chefs were allowed to join the party. The door opened, making her jump.

She turned around and saw Sunghoon entering. She bowed, "Your Highness."

"Are you making tea for the princess?"

She nodded, "Her Highness loves to drink chamomile tea before she sleeps later."

"Put this flower in the tea. It gives scent and is very good for her health," he handed her the poisonous flower.

Baekhee felt her heart racing nervously. Her father was a physician and he told her about poisonous flowers she would stay away from. And the flower was one of them.

She nodded and bowed before taking the flower. She watched as he left the kitchen. Her hands trembled as she held the flower. She immediately rushed to the fire to burn it.

Little did she know, the prince was watching her as he hid behind the wall. He chuckled in amusement before entering the kitchen again, leaning against the wall.

Baekhee washed her hand and flinched when she saw him staring at her with his dark eyes.

"I never knew you can be such a nuisance. Any last words?" He took out a knife from the kitchen cupboard and approached her slowly.

"Her Highness trusts you so much. His Majesty trusts you. How could you?"

He lifted the knife and slashed her chest open. Blood started trickling down as she fell to the floor. He breathed out and ran his fingers through his hair, "That flower costs me a lot. How dare a mere court lady as you throw it away?"