49

Yeonseo dragged herself to Sunoo's office, her eyes swollen and red due to all the crying. She tried to push the door open but failed as she kneeled weakly. "Sunoo..." she sobbed and wiped her tears with the hem of her sleeve.

The doors soon opened, revealing the said man who was just about to leave. He immediately kneeled in front of her and held both of her shoulders. He examined her face, seeing her red eyes and warm tears on her cheeks.

"Yeonseo-yah, what's wrong?"

"Jungwon."

"What's wrong with Jungwon?" He shook her body, "Hurry! What's wrong with Jungwon?!"

She couldn't mutter the words out. She whimpered and gulped down her saliva, "He passed away."

He released her from his grip and exhaled heavily, still in denial. "No, he's fine this morning. He's healing from the disease, right? He can't be dead."

"He's not moving. He's not breathing."

He sprinted to the bedroom where the nobleman stayed laid there unconsciously. He barged into the room and rushed towards the bed, "Jungwon-ah! Yang Jungwon!"

The nobleman didn't respond to any of his calls. Sunoo sat next to him and held his hand tightly, "Jungwon, wake up. I need you. Yeonseo needs you."

"You're not going to leave us like this, right?"

"Please, don't leave us, Jungwon. I've never dreamt of mourning over your death."

Yeonseo soon entered the room with her weak legs and sat on the floor. She leaned against the door and cried alone, watching as her brother started shedding tears too.

The maids went into the room and placed a blanket on the nobleman. They let Sunoo look at Jungwon's face one last time before covering it with the blanket.

Sunoo stepped away from the bed before stomping out of the room. The princess grieved for her beloved husband that had left her. The last thing he said to her was how he was glad to meet her. And some parts inside her heart were glad they kissed for the last time.

I will miss how you brush my hair with your fingers.

I will miss how you write messages to our son in his memoir.

I will miss how you spent time with me in the library.

How you waited patiently as I painted flowers in the garden.

How you stayed next to me while I admired the beautiful lake scenery.

And how you kissed me and assured me that everything will be alright.

I will always love you, Jungwon. And no one will ever be able to replace you.

🌷

A few days have passed. Sunoo had postponed the important meetings since it was still the mourning period for Heejin, Jungwon and Yeongwon. He sat on his throne and stared at Jungwon's seat.

The doors to the throne room opened, revealing Mr Bae. The servant walked toward him before bowing, "Your Majesty."

"What brings you here?" The King asked before averting his gaze back to Jungwon's seat. "We have finally found the cause of Lord Yang's disease," the male servant said.

Sunoo was taken aback by the sudden answer. He widened his eyes and instantly stood up, "What is it?"

"The royal physician found out that Lord Yang had lung cancer. And it was all due to the poisonous flower Prince Sunghoon always gave him."

"He was poisoned by that damn bastard."

Sunoo looked at Mr Bae and asked again, "Where's my sister?"

"Her Royal Highness is still at Lord Yang's tomb. She requested some privacy so I had the guards stay at the palace."

"She needs some time alone. Make sure she eats her medicine. She had gotten weaker and weaker after her husband and son's death."

🌷

"I brought your favourite crackers," Yeonseo said before biting into one. She swallowed the delicious crackers and felt the salty taste against her tongue.

She sat in front of Jungwon's tomb which was placed right next to Yeongwon's. Sunoo had asked for his tomb sign to have "Yang Jungwon, the king's most trusted man. The princess's beloved husband" carved on it.

She read the words and chuckled, "My beloved husband..." she muttered.

"I read Yeongwon's memoir again today. The middle pages were funny. You talked about how we always argue with each other."

"And then our first kiss. When we both accidentally fell to the floor."

She took a deep breath and let the wind brush against her skin, pushing her hair off her shoulders.

"Day by day, I feel weak and my chest starts hurting. I would always go to sleep at midnight because I always think you would come back."

"Maybe you would walk into the room and kiss my forehead before going to bed."

"I would feel very tired and sleep a lot. And then I'll wake up with a bad headache and cry because you're not there to make sure I eat my medicines."

"Sometimes I hate you for leaving me. But then I'll miss you because you're not here anymore."

"Damn you, Yang Jungwon," she laughed before letting her tears out. She felt tired and weak. She decided to lay on the ground and stared at the blue sky.

The memories of her going on a picnic with the nobleman crossed her mind. She smiled and took her one last breath before falling into a deep slumber.

Forever.