epilogue

The day my beloved sister died, was the day I started to lose hope. Who knew a person could die from a broken heart? Why didn't she tell me about all the stress that she had? Why didn't she tell me that she was in severe pain, mourning over her husband and her son's loss?

I never knew one of my trusted men and who was also my seventh cousin, could be the biggest liar of all time. He killed my best friend, my wife and my nephew.

I am writing this last page with a depressed heart as it is the memorial of Jungwon's death today. I had to move on and go on with my life. I had to keep being a wise king to all of my people.

I should not show them my real feelings. I would not be weak and pass away. I will not leave my people all alone. I also do not wish to have a second wife and an heir.

The day I die will be the last day the East Kingdom will have a king. And the kingdom shall be ruled by the trusted ministers and they shall treat the people like how I treat them.

To Heejin,

The wife I yearned to see. I regretted not bringing you with me to the North Kingdom. You are the best person I've ever met. You are the most beautiful flower I've ever found. You are irreplaceable and I will always love you.

To Yeonseo,

I scold and yell at you a lot. But I didn't get the chance to tell you how much I love you. And I hope you're not holding any resentment against me. When you announced that you were marrying Jungwon, I was angry. But then I realised it was the best decision you've ever made. And I'm sorry for wanting to marry you off to Sunghoon, the bastard that betrayed us all.

To Jungwon,

You are the person that I trusted the most. You're always there for me when I'm at my worst. You're always with me, in wars and meetings. Thank you for taking care of Yeonseo when I'm not there for her. Your contributions will always be remembered. Forever.

— the last page of King Sunoo's memoir.