26

The awaited ball was finally being held. Yeonseo placed her hands against the wall as Baekhee was trying to help her wear a gown. "It's too tight!" The princess whined in pain.

"It's supposed to be tight, Your Highness. It'll make your waist look slimmer."

The court lady backed away and exhaled in relief, "Done!"

Yeonseo looked at herself in the mirror. The ballgown looked perfect on her. Baekhee sure knows how to style her. "I was supposed to just read books and write my journal tonight. This is all Sunoo's fault," she frowned and stepped towards her bed.

Baekhee designed her hair and finally placed a crown on top of her head. Yeonseo's breathing stopped when she looked at herself, I look like a real princess.

After getting ready, Yeonseo and Baekhee both went to the ballroom. The guards bowed at them before announcing, "Her Royal Highness, Princess Yeonseo has arrived."

The doors opened, revealing all the guests that were bowing at her. She scanned around the room, searching for her lover. Her eyes caught Sunoo talking to Heejin near the balcony.

She couldn't help but smile. Heejin was wearing a gown that coincidentally matched Sunoo's attire. She saw Sunghoon talking to Prince Jay and gulped down her saliva. An uneasy feeling started forming in her stomach.

He was suspicious. And the questions about him having something to do with the West Kingdom was still lingering in her mind. A hand tapped her shoulder, making her jump out of shock.

Jungwon grinned and bowed at her, "Your Highness."

Her uneasiness soon changed into comfort and relief. "Were you waiting for me?" He asked with his soft voice. She let out a scoff and turned away, "I wasn't. I didn't even know that you're late."

"Well then, I guess I'll just have a conversation with other noblewomen then," he said before walking away. She grabbed his arm and lowered her gaze, "Don't go."

He tried to suppress his proud smirk and wrapped his arm around her waist, "Let's escape this ball. It's too crowded."

She nodded and followed him out of the ballroom. She glanced continuously at Sunoo who was busy winning his future queen's heart. She let out a soft chuckle and looked at Jungwon.

They both exchanged excited smiles as they ran through the hallway.

Sunghoon watched as Jungwon wrapped his arm around Yeonseo's waist. He scoffed and drank his wine, they're dating secretly now?

Jay eyed him and glanced at the doors, "What are you looking at?"

"Nothing. I have to go somewhere. Enjoy your time," he said and patted his friend's back before leaving the room.

🌷

Jungwon and Yeonseo walked side by side as they inhaled the fresh night air. Fireflies were already flying around the lake. They both stood under a tree that had blooming flowers. Petals were falling slowly as if it was cherry blossoms during spring.

Her eyes became teary when she remembered the time she went to see cherry blossoms with her father. I wonder how long I've been here already...

"Are you okay, Your Highness?" Jungwon asked as he started to feel worried. She blinked her tears away and nodded, "I'm fine. I just miss my father."

"Maybe, I can accompany you if you ever want to visit your father's tomb?"

Whose tomb?

Oh right! I have a different dad now.

Kinda?

"Thanks, I guess."

They both stood there in silence, enjoying the quiet time. The ballroom was too loud with people chatting and cheering as they danced with their partners. It was too hectic for her.

"Jungwon-ah, when I say that I want to marry you, have you considered my words?"

He was taken aback by the sudden question. He cleared his throat as his eyes quivered. "I did. Forgive me for my opinion, Your Highness, but I think it's not a good idea."

Her heart stopped beating for a second. She let out a nervous laugh, trying to hide her disappointed expression. "Why?"

He held both of her hands before caressing them gently. "You are a princess. I'm just a nobleman who serves your brother. You deserve someone with a powerful title. I don't want you to lose your title, Your Highness."

She averted her gaze to their hands that were intertwined. "Jungwon..."

"You're raised in this luxury and grand home. You have everyone here to serve you. I don't want you to marry me and end up living in a small house," he slowly released her hands.

She had her head hung low, too embarrassed to even look at him. Maybe asking him to marry me was too quick? Or maybe it was wrong anyway? Maybe the princess should've not married him to prevent from her tragic death happening. But I want to.

"What if I don't want to live in this grand and luxurious home? I want to live in a small home if that's what it takes to live with you. I don't care about the damn title. It's not like I asked to be born as a princess. And I don't want to marry those boring kings and princes. I want to marry you."

Jungwon looked at her apologetically before caressing her cheek. "Will you not regret it?"

"Why should I?"

He cupped both of her cheeks and leaned in for a kiss. She held both of his arms that were cupping her cheeks and closed her eyes.

Sunghoon folded his arms as he watched Jungwon and Yeonseo kiss under the tree. He smirked, "Wah..."

That's why you dismissed all of the suitor candidates, huh?

Just because of that damn nobleman.

I will not let you ruin my plan.