Chapter 12

(Jamie's POV)

"Well what did you want me to do with her? Leave her there??" I whisper-shout at Ellie, not wanting to wake y/n.

"I don't know, but you've got to admit that it's a bit of a shock to see your boyfriend walking through the front door in the middle of the night carrying a half naked girl!"

"She wasn't half naked! Her clothes had been torn. And I don't know where she lives, so it's not like I could have taken her to her own place, and I wasn't going to leave her to freeze to death."

"Well obviously not, but you could have called someone to come get her."

"Like who?"

"I don't know!" Ellie says, fed up.

"Look, something happened to her last night. She looked like she'd been attacked. I brought her here, where I knew she'd be safe."

She sighs, "Then you can deal with her when she wakes up." She picks up her purse.

"Where are you going?"

"I'm going out. You can sort her out, get her home, whatever. But I don't want her here by the time I get back. Understand?"

She doesn't wait for my reply before she storms out, slamming the door behind her.

(Y/n's POV)

I look quietly around the room, searching for a weapon of some kind. There are various ornaments and paperweights on the bookshelf, so I choose the one that looks like it could do the most damage.

 There are various ornaments and paperweights on the bookshelf, so I choose the one that looks like it could do the most damage

It's thick crystal. And it's heavy. I could definitely hurt someone with this.

I creep over to the door and put my ear to it, hoping to hear something, but I'm met with silence.

As quietly as I can, I turn the door handle and tip toe out of the room, paperweight still in one hand.

Now I'm out of the room, I can hear something. I can't make out who's voice it is but I can hear what they're saying.

"Yeah she's here.... I don't-.... No.... No I don't know what happened.... Yeah.... I found her and brought her back to my place..... I don't think she should-.... No...... No..... Alright.... Yeah I guess we'll see you soon..... Alright, bye."

There's silence for a moment.

I take another step, but the floorboard creaks.

Shit.

I stand ready, paperweight in hand as I hear footsteps coming nearer.

(Jamie's POV)

I hear the floor creak and slowly make my way out to the main room.

She's standing with a paperweight from the spare room gripped in her hand, ready to attack with it, but she drops it on the floor when she sees me.

"Jamie!" She quickly walks to me and throws her arms around me.

"Hey y/n, how are you feeling?"

"Confused... What happened? How did I get here?"

"I was walking home last night and found you passed out on a bench. I brought you here so you didn't freeze to death."

Something seems to click in her mind, because she gasps softly and quickly removes herself from me, wrapping her arms around herself in a protective stance.

"Thank you," she chokes out, "for bringing me here. Safe."

She goes to say something else when she spots something out of the corner of her eye.

(Y/n's POV)

I walk over to the wall where there's a picture hanging in a frame.

It's Jamie.

And a girl.

Taking a second to look around the place, I notice more and more little things.

A pair of purple reading glasses. Two empty mugs on the table. A bracelet. A lipstick. Two sets of keys. A pair of red heels next to Jamie's black trainers.

 A pair of red heels next to Jamie's black trainers

"Oh my god," I say quietly.

"Y/n-"

I put my hand out to stop him speaking.

I walk quickly back to the spare room and grab my shoes.

I throw them on my feet and walk out the room again.

"Y/n, just wait."

"And listen to what, Jamie? Hmm? I really don't know how you could explain this to be anything but what it looks like. It looks like you lied to me-"

"I never lied to you."

I scoff. "Excuse me? You think that, because you failed to mention that you were seeing someone, you 'technically' didn't lie to me? Fucking unbelievable, Jamie. Really."

"Look, that really doesn't matter right now. We need to talk about what happened to you last night."

"No. Jamie. We don't. Because you don't know the slightest thing that happened to me last night. And I certainly can't tell you because it seems I can't trust you."

"Yes you-"

"No I can't. You know, Lily told me the real reason you broke up. Because of Ellie, right? And I'm guessing this is her." I point to the girl in the picture with him. "I wanted to give you the benefit of the doubt, but it seems like she was right."