Chapter 18

(Y/n's POV)

The next few days at work go relatively smoothly. I avoid Jamie as much as I can, and not seeing him actually makes my job a whole lot easier as I can actually get stuff done. I act as naturally as I can around Martin, listening to him tell stories of late nights between him and his new man. He's genuinely happy, and I love seeing him like that. I can't break him down by telling him the truth. My skin's started to peel a little from where I scrub it day after day with the nail brush, but at least I know I'm clean and I can easily cover it with long sleeves or jewellery. Not really much of a change, as most days I wear long sleeves most days anyway.

We somehow manage to get ahead of schedule with the filming - we've done the first scene in Pandemonium, the fight at Hotel DuMort, then we did the scene in the hospital of the Institute, and finally the greenhouse scene where Clary and Jace kiss ...

We somehow manage to get ahead of schedule with the filming - we've done the first scene in Pandemonium, the fight at Hotel DuMort, then we did the scene in the hospital of the Institute, and finally the greenhouse scene where Clary and Jace kiss for the first time - so the director has given us all the day off, which I'm certainly grateful for.

I need a break.

(Jamie's POV)

A day off. Perfect.

I glance over at y/n and where she's packing up her bag for the day and I have to stop myself from going over.

No.

This is the perfect time to set things straight with Ellie. She deserves the truth.

"Well well," I hear Lily say from behind me. "What to do, hmm? Run home to the girl you cheated on and lied to, or stay here with the girl you lied to. And technically cheated on."

"I never cheated on y/n."

"Did you or did you not take her out on a date and fail to mention that you were in a committed relationship?"

I say nothing, just tense my jaw.

"That's what I thought. Listen Jamie, I'm just trying to look out for her. You've already screwed over me and Ellie, I won't let you do it to y/n too."

"Believe me, Lily, I have no intention of hurting her. I know I've fucked up. I know I'm a bad person, I certainly don't need you in my ear constantly reminding me of that. But I am able to change. And I will. I will be a better man."

"So what are you going to do?"

I sigh. "I'm going to go home, call Ellie and hopefully she'll come over. I'm going to give her as much as the truth as I know y/n would be comfortable with, and let her know that it's over."

"What do you mean? As much as she'd be comfortable with?"

I glance over to where y/n last was, but she's not there. I guess she must have left already.

"If I tell you something, you cannot tell a single soul."

"Okay....."

"Promise?"

"Absolutely."

"Well," I move closer and lower my voice so there's less chance of being overheard. "Last week she was assaulted. I found her on a bench, drugged and scuffed up, so I took her home and let her stay in my spare room. I know she wouldn't want Ellie to find out, and the one person who cannot find out the most is Martin."

Lily stares at me, shocked and appalled.

"Lily? You can't tell anyone," I insist.

She just nods, still unsure of what to say.

"Thank you."

(Y/n's POV)

I'd been waiting for Lily to ask her out for coffee when I saw her talking to Jamie.

So I'd moved closer to try and overhear what they were talking about.

I can't believe he told her.

(Jamie's POV)

"Look, Lily, I have to go. I need to go sort this out with Ellie, I can't leave her hanging on to false hope anymore. I'll see you tomorrow and please, tell no-one."

"I won't, I promise. But Jamie?"

I pause from where I'd started to turn away from her. "Yeah?"

"Take good care of her, okay? She's gonna be fragile for a while, she doesn't need you trying to pounce on her."

"Trust me, I know she's fragile. And I have no intentions of forcing anything onto her."

After seeing her nod in acceptance, I grab my things and make my way home to my flat, ready to confront Ellie.