Chapter 16

(Y/n's POV)

"Thank you soooo much for last night," Martin gushes as I make his usual cappuccino.

I can only smile weakly as I say, "Not a problem. I'm assuming it was worthwhile?"

"Absolutely. He ended up coming back to mine and oh. My. God. It was fucking brilliant. And he actually wants to see me again!"

"That's fantastic, Martin. Really," I say, trying my best to appear happy for him.

"So what happened to you last night?"

My hand freezes as I'm pouring the milk. "Oh, I ended up just walking home."

"You walked home? At that time? In the dark? Blimey y/n, you're brave. Why didn't you get a cab?"

I do my best to breath normally and not let out a small sob. "I felt like walking. I'll probably just get a taxi next time though, it took a while to get home."

"No way, I actually won't ditch you next time and you'll stay at mine. In fact, how about tonight?"

"She can't," I hear from behind me as an arm snakes around my waist. "Sorry Martin, but she's already got plans for tonight."

"I have?" I look at him, slightly nervously.

"Yes, you do."

Martin looks at me questioningly, as if checking I'm okay with Jamie's demands, and I give him a small nod to let him know it's alright.

"Well, okay then. See you later y/n," Martin says as he walks away.

"What was that?" I snap slightly as I turn to see Jamie.

"I'm sorry, but after last night there's no way I'm letting you go anywhere with him. He can't keep you safe."

"Since when was it up to you what I do and who with?"

"Look," he steps closer to me, "I'm not letting anything like that happen to you again. And if that means stopping you from seeing Martin then I will."

"And how do you plan on doing that? Gonna take me home to your flat? Oh no wait, you can't. Because your girlfriend is still there."

He takes a step back.

"Sorry Jamie, but until she's gone, you have no say in what I do or where I go or who I'm with. Until she's gone, you don't get to call me your girlfriend and take me on dates. I won't be that person. I won't be a homewrecker."

And I leave him standing there, speechless.

(Jamie's POV)

When I get home to my flat, I throw my keys on the table in frustration.

"Well what did that table ever do to you?" A voice asks with a small laugh.

"Ellie," I say, following the voice into the kitchen.

"Hey baby, I'm sorry about this morning. You understand, right? How it was a shock to see you come home with another girl?"

"Of course I understand," I sigh, "I just wish you'd understand that she's a good friend and I was trying to keep her safe."

There's a pause.

"Just a friend?"

"Excuse me?"

"Are you sure she's just a friend, Jamie? After all, we've been in this situation before so don't lie to me."

My head drops a little. No matter how much I apologise of think we've moved past it, she'll never forget about that girl. That one night stand. It was a mistake.

"Yes, she's a-"

"I saw you."

I look at her.

"I saw you with that girl. The one you brought here last night? I saw you with her at that restaurant. Where you took me for our first date. While you were still with Lily."

I can't find the words to say.

"You'll never change, will you Jamie? Baby, you know I love you, but I won't let you treat me like shit. You don't get to have your fun with your bit on the side and then come home to me. It's not fair. I gave you a second chance and I'm really not sure I can give you a third. So I'm going to stay at a friend's for a couple of days/ I'll give you the time to make the choice; me or her. If I don't hear from you, that'll be the end of me and you, and I'll assume you've chosen her. And if you choose her, I sincerely hope you treat her right. For once."

She picks up her purse and walks out the door.

Why does everyone always leave me?