Chapter Twenty-Eight ☽︎ Maybe In Another Life

I FOUND MYSELF on a plane back to Seattle

I FOUND MYSELF on a plane back to Seattle. It's been a week. A week since the night at the Sala Piccola. A week since my heart got ripped out and thrown at my feet all over again. A week.

I don't know how long the flight was, all I know is, I'm here, in Seattle, driving to just anywhere, just away from Lee, for now I guess. I need a moment.

My phone rings, and it's Brittany? I almost don't answer, but then I do and she's panting on the phone, my chest skyrockets.

"Oh my god, I'm sorry Kim, I dialed the wrong number," she pants and I can already think of a fucking dozen scenarios right now, and none of them seem particularly good. "I was supposed to dial your sister—"

"No, no, Brittany, you dialed right, I'm actually in Seattle and you sound pretty awful,"

"Oh goodness, Kim, my water just broke and Nick went to the gym and he's not answering his phone and my babies aren't supposed to be coming now so I—"

"Hold on, I'm coming to get you, I'm just a few blocks away," I breathe, turning my car in the direction of her house. I can hear her whimpering and breathing on the phone and I move faster.

When I arrive, I barge past the security and I walk towards the house. The dumb security let's me in and find myself in the living room, a hockey game showing on the TV.

"Kim!" Bri yells and I follow her voice upstairs. "I'm up here,"

"I can hear you, I'm coming!" I yell back as I get to her bedroom and I find her packing some stuff that I've been around Liz long enough to know that they are baby stuff.

"Hey, hey, breathe," I coo, rubbing my hand on her back as we both walk towards the stairs.

"I can feel them coming," she whimpers, her long blonde hair all messy and almost over her face and her strides extremely slow. "It's not time yet, it's supposed to be next week or so, why?" She pants.

"Okay, okay, breathe, we're gonna get you to the hospital, alright, save your strength, you're about to push two babies out of your Vagina," I try teasing but that only makes her even slower.

"Call Nick," she pants even more.

"I will, I will, let's get you to my car, alright?" I tell her.

We finally get out of the house, it's a struggle getting mama bear into the car but we do it anyway. She recites Nick's digits and I dial him, but he doesn't answer. We finally make it to the hospital. And according to Brittany, this is the hospital where Nick's Mom works. Dr. Ava Stones, a name that rings a shit ton of bells and brings back a hell of a lot of memories.

"I'm Doctor Ava Stones," she said, her eyes fixed with worry while my foggy brain tries to put together what just fucking happened, "You just had a miscarriage, sweetie, I need you to breathe for me,"