Chapter 44

Date: Tuesday, May 3rd

Sophia was blinded by a very bright light. She put her hands over her eyes and thought, "Ugh why is it so bright? turn it off."

Michael was startled and jumped up from where he was sitting.

Well, she thought she was thinking it but she really said it out loud.

Michael immediately walked over to the side of her bed and looked at her. He pulled her hands down from her face and asked, "Sophia, can you hear me?"

She looked at him and saw his face. He looked shocked and panicky. Why?

"Yes, I can hear you, Mikey. Why do you look so worried?"

Michael didn't answer her. He took off his stethoscope that was around his neck and put it in his ears to listen to her heartbeat.

"Deep breaths for me," Michael said.

Sophia was still very confused but did exactly what he told her to do. 

Michael was done and put the stethoscope back around his neck. He then asked Sophia, "Can you tell me your full name?"

"What? Why do I have to do that?" Sophia asked annoyed.

Although Michael knew Sophia was fine with her annoyed attitude he had to ask these questions since it's protocol after a patient comes out of a coma.

"Soph, please just tell me," Michael pleaded with her.

"Ugh fine. Sophia Rose Hemmings."

"How old are you?"

"Really?" Sophia said but Michael gave her a look and she replied with, "15."

"What city and state do you live in?"

"Cincinnati, Ohio."

Michael nodded and then did a few other things. Sophia was starting to get anxious. She was confused about why Michael was asking her those questions and why he looked so worried but also relieved. Then she couldn't remember why she was even in the hospital, to begin with. All she remembers is being at Michaels's house and throwing up but that's it.

"Mikey," Sophia said and he turned to look at her, "What is going on?"

The way Sophia's tone was Michael could tell she was anxious so he stopped what he was doing and gave her his full attention.

"Sophia, you were at my house when you got sick. Do you remember that?"

"Yeah."

"Well, you... actually, I think I should wait until Luke gets in here to tell you what happened."

"No please tell me now," Sophia whined. She was scared and confused and just wanted to know what happened.

"No, I really should wait until Luke gets here. I will go call him now."

—----------

Michael was waiting for Luke right outside Sophia's door. When he saw him running towards him Michael immediately gestured for Luke to walk into a room that was next to Sophias.

"Michael, ju..." Luke tried to say but was so out of breath that he could only say his name.

"Take a few deep breaths first," Michael said to Luke.

After a few minutes, Luke was breathing normally again.

"Just tell me. Is she dead?" Luke asked with tears in his eyes.

"What? No. Luke, I am happy to say that she is awake and from the looks of it there doesn't seem to be any long-term health problems which is good," Michael said smiling.

Luke had tears falling down but it was tears of relief and happiness. He was so happy that his little sister was finally awake.

"But Luke. She doesn't know what happened. She is confused. I didn't tell her that she was in a coma yet because I wanted you to be in the room. You need to be patient with her. Not that I need to really tell you that because you are the most patient person I have ever met. But I just need to remind you of how things can be for a patient that just got out of a coma. It can be hard for them both mentally and physically so just be prepared."

"Yeah, I know. I am just excited to finally see my baby sister, smile, talk, and laugh again."