25 A Dangerous Plan

It all started with an idea. The night was young and the guests had just stated their cases but one particular guest was putting a plan into action. Andrew herded Tripp, Regina, and Lizzie into his room and shut the door. It was time.

"Before we all find out our fates I have a plan." He pulled out a map from his bedside drawer and thrust it at Tripp, who barely caught it. "This game is like chess, so we have to stay one step ahead of the killer." Tripp read over the map, he pointed at a circled X. "Is this where we escape?" Andrew nodded. Beside him, Regina gasped. "We could be caught and then it has to be certain death from there." Lizzie walked over to the man and placed her hand on his shoulder. "Please tell me this is real and we actually have a chance." At that moment, a most detailed plan was set before them.

Downstairs, the other guests began to grow suspicious. Bailey who was sharing a drink with Vivian, glanced at the clock. "Where are they?" He asked. Vivian shook her head. "Probably plotting, it seems the younger people are sticking together. I wouldn't say I'm that old though, would you?" She examined her hands, lined with small wrinkles. "And then there's you, what with-" she was cut off by a loud crash. The pair jumped up and ran into the hall.

Caleb ran into Grant and they fell to the floor. Bailey couldn't believe his eyes. The men were wrestling. Natalie appeared behind them, rolling her eyes. Grant looked up at the pair standing in the doorway. "Bailey, Vivian, it's not too late to have fun. Why die a boring death?" Vivian grimaced. The man was drunk. She walked over to Natalie. "Where are the others?" The girl turned toward Vivian and shrugged. "They've been absent since the cases were stated."

This was odd. Before she could collect herself, Vivian was walking up the stairs and into a room where she heard voices. As she entered, the group in the room looked up. "Oh Vivian..it's you." it was Andrew. He was flanked by Regina, Tripp, and Lizzie. It was all a very suspicious scene. In those next few moments, she was informed of the plan and the game was set back into motion.

Later that night, Lizzie and Tripp sat outside and indeed the time had come for Tripp to light a cigarette, and boy did that feel good. "We can't know if this plan will actually work. If we're right about one of the people not in the room being the killer, then we may escape." Lizzie was saying, using her hands to speak. "But, if Regina, Andrew, or Vivian is the killer, then we're screwed."

Tripp lit another cigarette as he spoke. "I have a feeling if we're spared, then it won't matter either way." He'd really hoped he was right. This game was just so twisted but it had it's rules, you just had to follow them. He lit yet another cigarette and blew it out. "If you don't mind, I think I'll sit here for awhile." He liked Lizzie's company but he needed that alone time, just for five minutes.

Lizzie got up to leave and walked down the path back, her intent set on Grant's bedroom. She absolutely intended on telling him the escape plan. Even if he was the killer, surely he wouldn't murder her after what they'd shared. One could only find out. She shivered as a cold wind sliced into her skin.