CHAPTER 31

JORDI ADKINS

"Hey there." The curve on Xavier's face was just the best thing to see when I've been growing impatient for the day to end. "I'm really glad that you showed up. I really thought you're going to ditch me today." Xavier babbled out.

"Now, why would I ditch you?" I replied and I had to slowly look away careful not to let him see how I turned red. I really waited for this moment ever since I woke up this morning and while it took forever, I'm still happy that I'm giving this guy a chance.

"I don't know. I feel like I scared you last night. I was waiting for your reply"

I immediately released a soft chuckle in direct response to Xavier. "Right. Those pick-up lines are corny as fuck." I voiced out not really wanting to admit the fact that he did got me with those cheesy lines. Of course I'm not going to just tell him that I almost ran out of air because that's basically me giving in. I'm not like one of those fickle and gullible girls who would easily fall for someone who's just spitting corny pick-up lines.

"Or maybe..." Xavier stepped right in front of me drenched with such vanity which somehow suited him.

"Maybe what?" I frowned at him.

"Maybe you didn't want to reply because I got you!" Xavier went right by my side and just casually snaked his arm around my shoulder. I didn't realize that simple gesture had a huge effect on my physical body. I instantly felt a slight jolt starting from my nape going down my spine and as much as I wanted to scream out loud, I had to keep things cool as ice.

"Yeah, sounds like you're just full of yourself." I countered and clearly, I'm adamant at acting like I was unaffected. "You didn't get me, man, I just fell asleep."

"Awww, that sucks."

"Anyway, I just want to get this before things go out of hand." I began trying to set some lines. "I only said yes to this because I think we both deserve to have a good time after taking care of a worthless bag of flour."

"Hey, watch your mouth, Jordi. Billie's going to cry out loud if she heard you saying she's worthless." Xavier bantered out. I knew he was just joking with that.

I've got to be real with myself here. I wanted to say that Xavier's pick-up lines really got me swooning but I have a lot of thoughts going on and they're all fighting and bickering. The winning part of my thoughts really wants to keep things calm, cool and collected even though the losing part of me wants to just let go and scream out of pure happiness.

Xavier and I continued walking and I didn't even realize that I was already holding his hand that's draped on my shoulder until a group of giggling students pass by right in front of us. I guess Xavier got scared somehow that he was quick at pulling his arm away from my shoulder. He took one step away from me and we both paused for a short while and let the students pass by before eventually continuing. I certainly understood why he did that and I'm honestly not offended by any means.

Unlike me, Xavier's not really out and I know he's not even proud about it but that's valid in its entirety. He's still much rather confused and all of these are definitely new to him. It's going to take him a while to get used to something like this in public.

The air was slowly sprinkled with sparkling glitters of awkwardness as the two of us continued walking along the streets. I noticed he kept the two feet gap between us and I'm really okay with it. The thing that's bothering me was the brutal reign of awkward silence. I wanted to break it and start talking about something but then I got really conscious of myself. I don't want to sound stupid or anything.

After a while, we got to the bus stop and luckily, there's already a bus waiting for us that we don't have to spend another minutes of this awkward silence. We jumped right in and found two empty seats.