Chapter 2

Washington, D.C.

2014

The loud barking in the background woke Serena up that morning. She groaned in exhaustion before reaching to grab her phone on the nightstand. She sighed glancing at the time. 4:30 am. She carefully got out of bed, walked down the hall of her apartment, and turned the light on in her kitchen to visualize the large Golden Retriever sitting patiently at her dish waiting to be fed.

Serena sighed. "Molly, it's 4:30, we eat breakfast at 6:30."

The dog didn't respond but nudged her dish forward. Serena rolled her eyes, as she grabbed the dish to fill it with food. As soon as she placed it down, the dog started to eat, thus signaling for Serena to go get changed for her morning run. She quickly brushed her teeth and hair, allowing for her to pull it back into a ponytail. She pulled a plain grey sweatshirt and a pair of black leggings out of her closet, along with a black sports bra as well. Once she was dressed, she put on her running sneakers and an old CIA baseball cap that her mother got her when she started in the agency. After, she walked back down her hallway, to see Molly waiting by the door, with her leash, in her mouth and tail wagging in joy, upon seeing Serena.

Serena smiled as she attached the leash to the dog's collar and opened the door. "Ok, now we can go."

The dog eagerly pulled Serena down the hallway, as the dog loved to run, almost as much as Serena. Serena had gotten Molly at the request of her parents, as they were concerned about her being along all the time. Serena didn't mind being alone, and instead, loved it. However, that didn't mean she wasn't grateful for Molly. Molly was there for Serena's nightmares from missions and her childhood. Molly was there for all the injuries Serena sustained from CIA missions. And Molly was there as a friend and companion for Serena.

Within a few moments, after crossing a few city blocks, Serena and Molly were at the National Mall, their favorite running spot. Serena enjoyed it because it was repetitive, and not on a crazy incline like other places in D.C., and Molly liked it because there were lots of squirrels for her to bark at...which annoyed Serena to no end.

As they started their run, Serena went at a manageable pace, that allowed for her to keep up with Molly, even though Serna knew in the back of her mind that Molly could 100% outrun her...as she's seen it on her parent's property hundreds of times. Serena continued to run, making a turn to pass the Lincoln Memorial to allow for her to head back toward the Washington Monument. Just as she was about to make the turn to head down the long straight, she heard someone come sprinting past her.

"On your left." He said briefly before practically sprinting past her.

Serena stopped in her tracks as she watched the man run faster than she ever could practically make it halfway around the National Mall in the blink of an eye. She shook her head in annoyance, before starting to run again. Her and Molly were making good pace, as the man continued to lap around the two of them 3 times. Just as she was about to make a turn for the Lincoln Memorial once again, which would then allow her to stop her run, as she could tell both were tired, the man passed her again. The only difference? Molly didn't like it.

As Molly started to bark, she then pulled Serena with all her might, thus causing Serena to accidentally let go of Molly's leash, allowing for Molly to chase after the crazily fast man.

"Molly! No!" Serena called as she ran after the Golden Retriever.

Serena saw the man who passed her stopped in his tracks to allow the dog to catch up to him, before grabbing her leash so that she wouldn't run any farther. Serena then saw the man jog up to her and she jogged up to him so he wouldn't have to run that far.