Chapter 7

1 Week Later

"Would you like another helping of pot roast, sweetie?" Felicita asked as she got up from her seat.

"No, I'm fine Mom, but thank you." Serena said with a warm smile.

"It's your favorite...are you sure?" Her father asked.

Serena hesitantly nodded. "I'm not really hungry."

Serena was eating dinner at her parents' house, and for the first time in her life she felt intimidated being in their house. After meeting with Fury a week ago, she hadn't been getting much sleep...wondering if her father was dealing with some shady people. She didn't want to believe it...she couldn't believe it. This is the man who was at every single dance recital of hers, every single horse show, every talent show, every PTA meeting, every graduation...she couldn't believe it. It can't be true, right? She felt a big pit in her stomach.

"Are you ok, Sera? You look a little green." Alexander asked.

Serena forced a smile and nodded. "Yes, I'm perfectly fine...I'll be right back."

She immediately got up from the dining room table, and quickly walked down the hall, once she was out of sight, she started to head towards the first-floor bathroom, but right across from the first-floor bathroom, was a room that may have the answers Fury needs. Her father's office.

She quietly walked up to the door and entered the passcode which was 04191989 (which was her birthday) and entered the room. Her father's office was mahogany, with bookshelves sitting behind his desk. She carefully closed the door behind her, so the sound wouldn't attract the attention of her parents before quickly walking over to his desk. She turned on his computer and while it was loading, she began to search his desk drawers for anything related to SHIELD...she found nothing. Once the computer was on, she was met with a passcode. She tried everything from her birthday, her mother's birthday, his birthday, the day SHIELD was founded, her grandfather's birthday, and even the day her grandfather died...nothing, they were all wrong. That's when it hit her, the one date she didn't enter...The day in Bogotá. As soon as she entered it, the words success came across the screen and her father's home screen popped up. That's when she started to look for anything related to SHIELD and once again...nothing...he was good...too good. She then started to hear footsteps coming down the hall.

"Serena?" She heard her father say. "Are you alright sweetheart?"

"Yeah!" Serena called quickly shutting down the computer and closing all the desk drawers along with removing herself from his desk seat. Her eyes widened when she saw the doorknob turn, so she quickly grabbed a picture off her father's desk. It was of her as a kid on the beach.

"What're you doing in here?" He asked as he walked in.

She nonchalantly shrugged even though her heart was beating like it was going to come out of her chest. "Just looking around."

He looked down at the picture in her hands. "I remember when that was taken...it was just after your 12th birthday."

"We were at the house in Martha's Vineyard, right?" She asked.

He nodded. "You were so excited to be there for whale watching season. I remember taking you out on the boat and you almost fell in because of how much you wanted to see the whales."

She laughed. "I also remember coming home and Mom yelling at the both of us because we were drenched."

He laughed as well. "That too. Your mother and Renata have dessert ready."

She nodded before placing the picture back on his desk and walking out of his office, knowing in the back of her mind, there were so many unanswered questions she had.