Chapter 20

A/N:
Next chapter is A:AOU. As always, let me know if you have any questions, comments or concerns.

Present Day

"So, you're stationed in Africa now?" Serena asked via video conference with her brother.

She had decided to do work in her office, as Steve and the rest of the Avengers, including Thor, who scared the living hell out of everyone when he arrived, were in The Sudan catching a lead on where Loki's Scepter was. Her brother, Nick, who hadn't seen his sister since their cousin's wedding, was curious as to how the hunt for the Scepter was going...and so far, based upon what she told him...he was shocked at how many busts the Avengers had.

"Yeah." Nick said with a nod. "It's not too bad, they put me in a nice area of Wakanda."

"Right." Serena said with an eyeroll. "I forgot that you're besties with the Prince of Wakanda."

Nick frowned. "We're not besties. We're close associates and have known each other for the past 10 years, and he considers me to be his brother."

Serena was silent for a moment as she looked at her brother.

"So, you're besties then?"

Nick groaned, making his younger sister laugh in amusement. While Nick and Serena had a 10-year age gap, they were still closer than one would believe. Nick always called Serena to ensure she was ok, especially after tough missions, and whenever Serena could get the chance, she called Nick. Nick always protected her (the best he could), and Serena, always was the defiant younger sister. While the two were siblings, they looked nothing alike, as Serena looked like their mother, Nick looked like their father.

"On another note, are you ok?" Nick asked turning serious.

Serena shrugged. "Yeah, why?"

"Mom called me." Nick explained. "She said that Steve told her, that you are going into a dark place."

"What?" Serena asked in disbelief. "I'm not going to a dark place."

"She said that Steve said you made 2 cakes, cream puffs, muffins, and cream tarts in the span of less than a week." Nick explained.

"So?" Serena shrugged.

"Ser, you hate to bake." Nick continued. "And she also said that you're playing piano...in kind of public, which we all know is not your thing."

Serena sighed. "I'm fine, I've talked to Steve, and I'm going back into the field if this is a bust and- "

"You're going back into the field!" He said in disbelief. "Serena, you're a liaison. You're not supposed to be operating in the field."

"It's fine." She explained. "I'm fine. Nick you and I both know I can handle myself."

"It's not the fact of you handling yourself." Nick began. "It's the fact that the last couple of times you were in the field, you got hurt...bad."

"I'll be fine." She continued. "Trust me. I can handle myself."

Nick sighed, knowing it was a losing battle. If he could describe his sister in one word: stubborn. No wonder she and Steve got along so well.

"Alright." He said with a nod. "Let me know if things go south."

She nodded. "I will. Talk soon."

He gave her one more firm nod, before ending the call. She leaned back into her desk chair and let out a frustrated sigh. She hated the desk job. The reason why she took it? Her mother forced her. She didn't mind some parts to it, like working alongside Maria, but she longed for the action. She was trained to be a Specialist.