Chapter 5

3 Weeks Later

Location: Alexandria, Virginia

Serena let out a frustrated sigh as she carefully walked up the steps of her parents' house, knowing in the back of her mind, she did not want to be there. Tonight was the annual dinner party her parents hosted where all the big names in intelligence, and government officials attended and got drunk. Because Serena had both de Fontaine and Pierce as part of her name, she had no choice on if she wanted to attend or not. She quickly glanced down at her dress, which was an emerald green (her favorite color) silk, short, sleeveless cowl-neck dress along with a pair of plain nude pointed toe heels. Her hair was pulled back perfectly into a neat bun, with simple diamond earrings to accent the dress. She also had a matching emerald clutch which had her two most important things in her life, which were her phone, and Advil...as she needed both to get through the night. She carefully knocked on the door and took a deep breath to try and calm herself down, but as soon as she took the breath, the door opened revealing Renata on the other side.

"Miss Pierce! You know you don't have to knock to enter! Come in!" Renata exclaimed upon seeing Serena.

Serena smiled and let out her breath as she hugged the older woman. Renata had been working for her father for the past 15 years, so in Serena's mind, Renata was like another aunt to her...a more visibly sane aunt compared to the one she had.

Serena pulled out of the hug. "It's good to see you Renata, where's my parents?"

Renata sighed. "Mr. Pierce is speaking with President Ellis and Vice President Thompson outside, and I believe the last time I saw Mrs. Pierce she was speaking with your aunt and uncle."

Serena nodded. "Thank you."

Serena ventured further into the house, saying hello to the few government officials that she knew quite well, until she found her mother, aunt, and uncle, speaking by the grand piano...all conversed in a very heated conversation.

"Sorry to interrupt, but I debated on coming tonight." Serena said honestly which interrupted the conversation the three were in.

"Sweetie!" Felicita explained before hugging her daughter. "I'm so happy you came!"

"And as I said, I debated on coming." Serena replied with a sigh as she pulled out of the hug with her mother.

"I don't blame you, these parties are not fun, especially when you get older." Everett began earning a laugh from Serena.

"And yet here you are." Val said with an eyeroll before handing both her husband and niece champagne flutes. "Drinking Alex's expensive champagne and suffering like the rest of us."

"Trust me, I'd rather be in a Quinjet on the way to somewhere right now." Serena explained before taking a sip of her champagne.

"Did you get cleared yet?" Everett asked.

Serena nodded. "About a week ago, which was sooner than the doctor wanted, but with good persuasion, I was able to get off a week earlier."

"She asked her father to override it." Felicita explained earning a laugh from Val and an eyeroll from Everett.

"Listen, if you were stuck in your house all day, you'd go crazy." She explained. "I think Molly and I got tired of looking at each other."

"I have a question." Felicita began in a tone Serena knew all too well.

"Mom." Serena began. "No."

"Just one song...please?" Felicita begged gesturing to the piano.

Serena huffed in annoyance before she sat down at the piano and looked to her mother.