Chapter 15

Present Day

As they trekked through the woods, Serena felt her stomach drop. This was it. The moment she had been dreading this entire time, but knew it had to be done. Maria, who had been walking alongside her, noticed her hesitance.

"You ok, Ser?" She asked.

Serena gave her a slight nod. "Yeah."

The four of them came to a halt as they visualized the Triskelion. Natasha had already contacted Councilwoman Hawley, who was in on the plan the entire time, and had taken her place in the World Security Council meeting. Fury, who wanted to make the most dramatic entrance possible, was flying a helicopter to meet them there. The plan was in place, now all they had to do, was set it in motion. Steve had opted to ditch the SHIELD uniform and went with the one he wore in the 40s, which he stole from the Smithsonian...it had importance in times like these.

Once they made it into the facility, using underground service tunnels and the drainage systems, they headed to one of the main control rooms. Maria and Serena fired a small EMP that jammed the server's systems for a short period of time. Serena, Maria, and Sam had all drawn their guns ready to fire, depending on who opened the door. As soon as the door was open, the officer looked at them in shock.

"Excuse us." Steve said with a sigh, and the guard put his hands up in surrender.

As soon as they entered, Serena handcuffed and zip-tied the guards in the corner.

"That should keep them silent." She said with a smirk.

"We all thought you were dead." One of them said.

Her smirk grew. "It's difficult to kill me."

Maria quickly tapped a few buttons on one of the consoles before looking to Steve.

"You're good to go." She explained as Steve took off his helmet and leaned forward into the microphone.

"Attention all SHIELD Agents, this is Steve Rogers." Steve began. "You've heard a lot about me over the last few days. Some of you were even ordered to hunt me down. But I think it's time you know the truth. S.H.I.E.L.D. is not what we thought it was."

A small sigh came out of Serena as she made eye contact with Steve.

"It's been taken over by HYDRA. Alexander Pierce is their leader." He said meeting her gaze. He noticed a small tear run down her cheek, as she closed her eyes to try and compose herself. "The STRIKE and INSIGHT crews are HYDRA as well. I don't know how many more, but I know they're in the building. They could be standing right next to you. They almost have what they want. Absolute control."

Maria wrapped an arm around Serena trying to console her. She knew in the back of her mind that today was going to be hard, no matter what happens. Everything she knew, was a lie.

"They shot Nick Fury...they tried to kill Serena Pierce, and it won't end there." Steve continued. "If you launch those Helicarriers today, HYDRA will be able to kill anyone that stands in their way, unless we stop them. I know I'm asking a lot, but the price of freedom is high, it always has been, and it's a price I'm willing to pay, and if I'm the only one, then so be it, but I'm willing to bet I'm not."

Steve let out a sigh before closing the intercom and stepping away from the system.

"Did you write that down first, or was that off the top of your head?" Sam asked in disbelief.

Steve shook his head but didn't answer.

"Alright, I'll stay here, and monitor everything...you all know your assignments." Maria explained.