Chapter 117

Jiang couldn't help but sigh at the sensitivity of Chi You.

At first, Jiang found Chi You's words strange. It wasn't surprising that Lian Xue, who played the role of a maidservant in the Chi family, knew Chi You. What was strange was not knowing him. However, upon closer thought, Jiang understood that Chi You was testing him.

Chi You clearly felt that Lian Xue's expression indicated recognition, but not recognition of him as he was now.

A person from a world within a mirror, so young, yet perceptive to such an extent; no wonder everyone said Chi You was a unique genius in the occult realm. Jiang began to look at him with newfound respect. Calmly, he said, "You are the young master of the Chi family, and she is your family's maidservant. Of course, she recognizes you."

"True," Chi You smiled and didn't continue probing. "There's a cigarette vendor on Wan Bao Street."

Now there was a box of cigarettes. Chi You, the young master, took care of the payment, buying the most expensive pack for Jiang. Watching the scenery on the street, Jiang could hardly take his eyes off. The details of this world within the mirror were so realistic that Jiang almost felt like he had traveled through time once again.

Passersby with various looks and stories, children darting through the crowd, stray dogs hiding in corners. Yellowed walls were adorned with newspapers, and amidst the hustle and bustle, there was also the faint melody from the theater.

The street carried various smells, a mixture of fishy and foul odors. Everything was vividly true to life.

The cigarette vendor even threw in a matchbox, and Jiang pocketed the items. He said to Chi You, "I want to explore this street a bit more."

As he looked around, Jiang thought that those who brought them into the world within the mirror must be very familiar with this era.

Perhaps one more point should be added: the mastermind behind this is not familiar with the background of the modern world.

The Chi family and Chi You exist in a modern context. If the mastermind wants them to be part of the Chi family's story, undoubtedly, a modern background would be more realistic and convenient. Yet, the mastermind went through the trouble of placing the Chi family and Chi You in a near-modern setting, a laborious and unrewarding act. Most likely, the mastermind struggles to create realistic modern details.

Who could simultaneously meet these conditions?

While Jiang pondered, raindrops fell onto his forehead. Looking up, he saw the fine rain turning denser, dripping onto the dry ground, leaving faint traces.

It was raining.

Street vendors swiftly packed up their belongings, hugging them as they ran. "It's raining! Make way!" they shouted.

Pedestrians hurried through the rain, scattering in all directions. Jiang turned to look; they had unwittingly walked to the roadside, far from the Chi family, and returning in a short time was impossible unless they wanted to get thoroughly soaked.

Wondering what to do, Jiang suddenly felt his hand being held. Chi You dragged him eastward, running.

As the raindrops grew larger, and both were drenched, Chi You brought Jiang into a square pavilion.

A mist enveloped the surroundings in the drizzle, and the patter of rain echoed from the pavilion's roof. Beside the pavilion stood a pear tree, its pink petals pitifully falling and mixing with the mud on the ground.

Jiang carefully placed the cigarette box and matches on a seat. He began patting the rainwater off his body, thoroughly wet, even his shoes.

Twisting his own hair, Jiang smiled at Chi You, "Young Master Chi, you mentioned having an illness for several years, but you just ran over here without breaking a sweat. The place we were at a moment ago is at least a mile away. You're not even out of breath."