9 · Meeting The Cousin

"Riñītos!" Daemon called after me as I exited the pit, he reached after me and grabbed my long winter coat. I jerked back and he spun me to face him by my shoulders, "where do you think you're going?" He questions.

"I am leaving." I respond and stare up at him, he exhales and narrows his eyes. "You cannot leave yet," he says and I raise an eyebrow. "Your time here is not yet done." He whispers in Valyrian.

He gently released my shoulders and took a step back, a small smile on his face as his eyes went to the sky, like he never said anything. I turned around to see what he was seeing, and a gust of wind struck me in the face.

A golden dragon descended from the sky, a heart shaped harness strapped on its chest. The rider landed her dragon directly in front of me and Daemon, "Have a nice ride?" He asks.

A girl with a wide smile slides off the neck, long silver hair draped down her shoulders and back. "Hello uncle," she says and hands her gloves to a dragon keeper. Her eyes land on me, then she examines me head to toe. Her eyes pause on my pants.

"Hello," she says to me, I give her a small smile and look at Daemon. "Fraenairys, this is Rhaenyra, my niece." His hand lands on my back and he waves to the girl with his other hand. "It's good to meet you." I say and roll my shoulders back, he drops his hand. She nodded her head at me with a kind smile.

He inhaled and then spoke again. "Rhaenyra this is your distant cousin, she's come from the North." Her eyes widened in surprise, "Really? Who are your parents?" She looks as if she's ashamed to not recognize me. I open my mouth to speak but Daemon clears his throat.

"Like I said, Fraenairys is your distant cousin." He says. I shut my mouth, my eyes blur for a moment and I looked around us, Draco and Sapphira were out of sight. Rhaenyra nods her head, watching her uncle with a look of suspicion. She changes the subject.

"Uncle's I saw the strangest thing while flying today," she says, I quickly turn to face her. Daemon slightly tilts his head. "What would that be?" He asks. She shakes her head, "there were two young looking white dragons on the beach, they were just sitting in the water."

"Really?" He asks, a smirk on his face as he looks at me. "I guess they ran off when we went down to the pit." He says, unsurprised. Rhaenyra's eyebrows raise, "they belong to you, cousin?" She asks, very surprised. I nod my head.

"I was beginning to grow quite worried," I said and then looked at Daemon. "I'd like to go retrieve them now, how far are they?" I asked Rhaenyra, but keeping my eyes on Daemon, who I noticed was staring at me for a while.

"Quite far, I didn't want to stop because they might've been feral." She says quieter and looks back at her dragon. "Syrax is quite a picky girl." I give her a smile and Daemon's hand lands on my forearm. "I'll take you on Caraxes to go see them, well follow after you Rhaenyra."

She nods her head and before I can say a word he's pulling me to the giant red creature. Caraxes whistles as we approach him and his tilts his head down, watching me with big eyes. "Lucky for you Caraxes doesn't mind having two riders," he laughs and steps up and sits down on the saddle.

"Where do I even sit?" I ask incredulously and gesture to the oddly shaped piece of material he was sitting on. "Would you rather have scales or leather?" He asks and points to the spot behind him, and the minimal space in front.

I shake my head and go to climb up, being careful not to upset or bother Caraxes. Daemon holds out a hand which I slap away, and I take my spot behind him on the scales. "You better hold on tight, Caraxes has a rough take off." He says with a smile and pulls my arms around his waist.

I reluctantly grab onto the straps of his tunic, he speaks to Caraxes in Valyrian, saying words like be calm, listen, obey. He leans forward abruptly, taking me with him and making my torso lay flat on his back. I roll my eyes and lift my head, resting my chin on his shoulder to see where we are going.

Daemon was right about Caraxes, his long body sort of twisted as he took a few strong steps and a final jump into the air. Based on the similarities between my dragons and Daemon's, they would probably grow to be a lot like Caraxes shape. But obviously much bigger, considering their mother and the dragon in the cave. As Daemon guided the dragon, he moved a free hand atop of mine, I narrowed my eyes at the gesture.

"I must say you have a strong grip for a woman from the North," Daemon says, he turns his head, only to be met inches from mine. His lips twitch into his signature smirk. "You're quite comfortable riding on dragon back aren't you?"

"Stop flirting and follow your niece." I use my left hand to turn his head away. "Noticing and flirting are two different things, riñītos." He replies. "Yet somehow you've done both, good job, my prince." For the first time I used his respectful name, his royal name. He stayed quiet for the remainder of the trip to the beach.

Medium Chapter 954 w/c