12 • My Intended Position?

"What does the Hand of the King want to talk to me about?" I asked with a puzzled face, the lady Alicent Hightower took a deep breath and slowly blinked. I could sense she was begging her patience with me to last, and for me to have a short stay in the Red Keep.

"My father's job here in the kingdom is to protect the King, not just presently but from possible altercations in the future." She picked up her pace and I looked over my shoulder at Rhaenys who was watching as we walked away from the garden.

I tried to ignore the lady's meaning behind her sentence, that I might try to usurp the King, I had only just arrived in the Red Keep and my presence had already caused so much unrest.

"How many times must I prove myself to these people?" My voice barely rose as anger settled in the back of my mind and my vision throbbed and blurred at my rise in temper. Alicent took in a sharp breath and glanced at me beside her, easily keeping her fast pace.

"These people are only trying to do their job." Her voice got slightly quieter this time and I looked at the stoney ground, perhaps she was too. I nodded my head, and grumbled quietly in annoyance, "doesn't make it less annoying." She pretended to not hear me. What good does it do to argue with a teenager anyway.

I let my anger roll off my shoulders and instead focused on the lingering eyes of guards and servants passing by. All eyes fixed on mine, why were they so blue? Is what they're thinking. Why on earth are they shaking? If I knew then I'd give they're unspoken questions an answer, but I couldn't.

~•~

He was even more unpleasant looking up close, that was all that came to mind when I met the hand in the hallway. Lady Alicent must not be his daughter or else they would have some resemblance, I dare say it's an insult to her that they are referred to as father and daughter. He guided me into his office.

Though I was thinking of how foul this man's appearance was, my mind was also set elsewhere. My dragons. I did not like being away from them, and I must remind myself that if they are ever to be fairly independent and strong then I must take them off the leash that is my eyesight. The dragon riders here let them stay in the stone dungeon for hours on end and Syrax seemed just fine.

"... So we might now discuss your intended position." His voice finally burst through my thoughts and I blinked quickly as my daydreams were cut short. I paused, then narrowed my eyebrows at his words. "My intended position?" I replied in a high, confused tone.

He stared down at me with neat folded hands behind his back. "Yes my lady." I never imagined that those two words would be used to describe me, some dirty, frigid northener. I shook my head, "I don't understand, I have no intended position, I am only visiting per Prince Daemon's request." He tilted his chin down slightly and frowned, "So did a woman many years before you."

I crossed my arms and scoffed, "Don't let any ill word of my mother slip your mouth." Blurry splotches returned and I forced them out, determined to keep my focus so I might put this irritating man's confidence where it belongs, under my boot. His frown curled into a small smirk and he raised his eyebrows. "Your mother?"

The lack of an audience was starting to look like a blessing as I reached my concealed breast blade, I managed to sneak it into my new dress when the maids weren't looking, they threw my old clothes into an incineration pile. I redirected my annoyance and retracted my hand and placed it at my hip. "Yes, Dauren Deuland is my mother. Shouldn't it please you that I am saying a bastard is my mother? It lessens my claim to the throne, however low it already was." I muttered.

Everyone can whisper all they want about the bastard girls that came from the North but to speak low of the greatest female dragon rider to ever live in my time is an act of war in my eyes. Maybe I was overreacting about the whole thing, but the look on the man's face only justified my anger. He looked down at me, almost pitifully.

"So you don't want to rule the Iron Throne..." He said slowly, brows raised expectantly. Annoyance lifted through my body, I clenched my fingers into a tight fist and bit down on my tongue. I sighed heavily through my nose and shook my head.

The corner of his mouth lifted and he nodded his head. Taking in a deep breath through his diaphragm and looking around us in his office, the hand of the King's office. "Well, enjoy your stay in the red keep, my lady." His eyes flicked to the door and I swiftly turned around.

My new slippers slapped on the stoney floor as I exited the room, the large wooden door slammed behind me. I looked at either of my sides, two guards had been just outside the door. Neither bothered to look at me, so I turned down a hall that I was quite sure led to Rhaenyra's chambers and thought of how comfortable her lounge chair looked.

Sorry for the long wait!

Medium Chapter 915 w/c