Chapter twenty eight

AARON HERNANDEZ

I don't know how I feel about this, I don't even know if it's the right thing to do but before I go crazy and probably come up with something wrong as I have been doing the couple few days. I know the right thing to do is to talk it over with Cassandra and get her insight on what to do about everything.

"What is it? Is everything okay?" I look at her worried face and I realize I might have scared her. "Everything is okay, perfectly fine, this is not something to worry about Cassandra. Everything is fine." She dumps her lips in a pout.

"Then what is it?"

"I...I uhm." I scratch the skin at the nape of my neck. I don't know how I feel breaking this to Cassandra but it's not a good feeling.
"I own this little land in Montego Bay in Jamaica." I express only that to first learn her expression and how she is taking it and she just nods her head at me muttering a small, "Okay."

"There is an inn built there but it is a small business that I bought long ago from a friend of mine back in the day. He is the one still running it for me but it's not something major but..."

"But what?" She asks when I trail off.
I lower my gaze for a moment summoning my last source of strength to let this all out before I look back at her and go for it.

"I think it's enough to provide for us." There is a long silence as I let it all out. I keep my gaze on Cassandra taking note of every motion circulating on her face. Her pouty lips go into a firm line. Her eyes are in a daze I know what she is thinking but I wish she would let me in too so that I would know for sure what she is thinking of.

"Provide for us. What does that mean? What are you trying to say to me? Elaborate please."
I nod understandingly.

"I want to take responsibility and take care of you and the unborn baby, however, I am not going back to my family's resorts or anything related alongside The Hernandez. I want a fresh start, a new start, and above all I want to do you right Cassandra." She pouts her lips again her face softening up at my words.
I take that as a good sign, I move a little closer and reach for her hands to hold them in mine.

Her gaze follows the gesture but I keep mine on her. "I know I messed up your life, you have to suspend a year because of my irresponsibilities."

"This is not an irresponsibility Aaron." She cuts me off. "Me being pregnant is not by accident or by irresponsibilities. I hate it when you keep saying it like that and always apologizing. I was on a pill and I know more than little times you were always careful so can you stop, our baby." She moves one of my palms to rest on her still-flat belly.

"Our baby is a miracle. We made it without knowing it or desiring it. It came like what, a blessing to us. To me, it's an honor to be carrying this baby in my belly because I know I was careful and regardless of that it is here. I believe it's because of a reason and preferably good reason so I would appreciate it if you were to see it like that with me and stop being condescending about it." Wow! And when I start thinking she can't get any wiser or better than me the universe does that.

I should know my place. "That was beautiful." I smile at her feeling amazed.
I feel like I am seeing her for the first time and just meeting her now.
She looks magical and somehow like a fairytale in my eyes at this moment.

"Can I kiss you baby girl?" I didn't realize I voiced that until she replied.

"Do you have to ask now Aaron?" I shake my head. "No, I don't." It's what I manage to say before cupping her cheek with my other hand and crushing her lips to mine.
At the skin contact, I find myself releasing a sigh. Oh God knows, I desperately wanted this.