Chapter 4: The Boy

In the heart of the forest's embrace, where the canopy weaved a tapestry of shifting shadows and dappled light, a solitary figure emerged. His presence shattered the serene silence, an obvious change to the tranquil symphony of nature.

The boy, battered and broken, ventured into the luminous patch where the sun's rays pierced through the verdant leaves overhead. His once-proper garments now hung in tatters, clinging to his weary frame like whispers of a forgotten past. Each thread bore witness to the trials endured, unravelling tales of hardship etched upon his torn skin.

Blood, an offering to the forest floor, painted a grim picture beneath his faltering steps. Each droplet, a price paid in the pursuit of survival, glistened like rubies in the soft glow of the setting sun. It traced a path of resilience amidst the wilderness, marking his journey through the woods.

Yet, despite the agony etched upon his face, there lingered a flicker of will in his eyes. It was the ember of yearning, burning steadfast within the darkness that threatened to consume him whole. With each laboured breath, he defied the odds, refusing to succumb to the damage he had been dealt.

Like so, the boy's distress soon faded. 

He simply wondered,"Where am I?"

When he realised he did not have an answer, he wondered again, "How did I get here?"

He hadn't an answer for that either.

No matter how many questions he had, he couldn't find a single answer to any.

"Where should I go?"

"Why am I here?"

"Will I ever go home?"

These questions were troubling his mind, but there was a single question that he could not even begin to fathom.

"What are they?"

He asked himself as the black scaly Pale-Flames surrounded him. He counted at least thirty of them, all baring their fangs and illustrating their blue flames at him, the prey that wandered into their nest!

But the boy was not afraid.

Though he did not know where he was, why he was here, or how bad his injuries were, he knew one thing.

"Ì̳ ̸̝̏c̴͙͐a̶̤͒n̸̺͂ ̶̱͛s̵̬͊t̵̡͗ī̴͎l̶̬̉ļ̶̐ ̵̥̎f̵̪͝i̸͖͒g̶͈̐h̴̰̕t̷̹̀!̵̊"