Chapter 14: Negotiations

[Rolmen's POV]

I feel like I've managed to keep everything under control, but the thought of potentially dying at any moment terrifies me! Added to that is the constant uncertainty, weighing heavy on my mind like an impending shadow! Kaizuma is listening for now and took his seat as per my order, but I'm certain I won't be able to keep barking orders at him indefinitely!

Rolmen:
General, it seems your wife is absent. Could she have other commitments besides the safety of your son?

Kaizuma:
The safety of our daughter.

Ho? He's far calmer now that Rahmn shouted some sense into him. Looking after Kuro is a damn good reason to stay behind so I guess Saaya isn't coming, but if the ones that tipped us off are correct....

Rolmen:
In that case how about we invite the other lieutenant to take up the vacant seat?

Kaizuma:
What?

Zeef:
The other lieutenant?

Rahm:
We have no one with such a title.

Hm. Look at them all confused. They don't even seem to be aware of the word-spreading regarding their own warriors. It's almost amusing how oblivious they are to the whispers swirling around them.

Rolmen:
Pardon me, I hear he goes by other names too. Shadow lieutenant, Shadow general even!

Those last two seem to have done the trick. With the exception of the boy, everyone here seems to know where I'm getting at. It's gratifying to see my subtle hints not falling on deaf ears.

Rolmen:
I'm of course referring to you, Kuriyami! You're hiding somewhere, aren't you? My subordinates have means of communicating with me, and all I've heard is that you're nowhere to be found. That means you're here, no?

I'm bluffing! I have no means of communicating with my subordinates outside! If he's here he's here, if he's not he's not!

Kaizuma:
He wouldn't have... right?

Rahm:
I doubt he's foolish enough to barge in here uninvited. You're wasting your brea-

Rolmen:
I'm not. He's here. And I'm gonna count to three before I kill this boy. What you do with me after is up to you, there are plenty of people to replace me.

Kaizuma:
Hey, don't do anything rash!

Rahm:
I agree! The two of us are willing to take our chances if you're going to kill the boy anyway!

I know you are! This is all one big gamble, but I can't just come out and say it! The bluff is too risky to reveal, so I keep it locked up tight inside.

Zeef:
Go on. Start the countdo-

Rolmen:
One!

Zeef:
Bastard...

A menacing bolt of lightning flashed across Kaizuma's stern face, casting eerie shadows that seemed to dance with malicious intent.

Rolmen:
Two!

The boy held his breath, while I could hear the King's thorns move about under the table.

Rolmen:
Thr-

Kuriyami:
I'M HERE!

Alas, my gamble paid off!

From the swirling depths of a black, foggy mask forming on the ceiling, like a portal to another realm, Kuriyami began to materialize. His upper body emerged first, suspended upside down from his shoulders, while the rest of him vanished into the darkness of the fog. And he's definitely Kaizuma's brother. They both share that same devilish scowl!