Chapter 18: We Are Undead

[Lee's POV]

Walking through the streets of the village, which would have been deserted if not for the patrolling guards, the three of us were still trying to recover from the earlier shock. The other two were leading on ahead while I followed behind, I have no idea where to go if I were in the lead after all. We're desperately hoping it's just a coincidence, but let's face it, unless there's another Rift Dweller out there, the odds of encountering such a specific lightning user are pretty slim.

And damn the weather's morbid! It's only a little past noon but it's already clouded in grey!

Riece:
From what I know, Rog and May practically share a fence. Just a few more minutes, and we'll be at their place. They're the last ones we've got to hit up, but let's not get our hopes up. Judging by how things have been going, we won't be getting leads out of them either.

Lee:
Agre-

Before I could even spill a spec of what was on my mind, my instincts jolted into action! Bloodlust! From behind me! I whipped around, my abilities primed and ready to kick some serious butt if necessary. As I completed my swift turn, my gaze locked with the eyes of a towering figure, sporting a rugged build akin to a Viking. Complete with a bald head and beard, he truly looked the part.

But that surge of bloodlust faded in an instant, leaving behind a rather pitiful scene—a man stripped of all hope, his despair visible

But that surge of bloodlust faded in an instant, leaving behind a rather pitiful scene—a man stripped of all hope, his despair visible. I see...

Lee:
Am I right in assuming I am face-to-face with Rog Stonefree?

Riece:
Hm? Rog?

Thaijou:
Eh? When did he there!?

The other two finally caught on. Imagine, sneaking up not only on me but also on the General and Lieutenant, though I can't exactly claim he snuck up on me if all he did was stroll over. That surge of bloodlust was likely just a side effect of his sorrow from losing three cherished individuals.

False alarm. Looks like I've gone a bit rusty.

Rog:
Yes. Sorry for scaring you, I've been in a bit of a bad mood recently.

Lee:
No, it was my mistake. I shouldn't have jumped to assumptions.

Rog:
You have good reflexes. Comparable to me in my prime mercenary days.

Ex mercenary! No wonder he's so skilled!

Lee:
Thanks.

Is that all I got to say? (  ̄_ ̄)

Riece:
Mr Rog, sorry to bother you at such a regretful time. Let me start by offering my sincere condolences.

Rog:
Thank you. But my sorry state aside, I heard y'all were looking for me. I'll do whatever I can to help find the killer. They must be one powerful individual for the two of you to step in, everyone's so scared they won't even leave their houses.