Chapter 27: A Hated Mask

[Kuriyami's POV]

Utilizing [Shadow Lance] and seizing a fortunate moment, I impaled the hearts of five adversaries arranged conveniently in a straight line, the lance piercing through them like a long, dark cloud solidified into deadly mist. Yet, there was no time to take a breather as I swiftly moved to silence another one, plunging my dagger into their throat before they could react. I'm so not in the mood for this right now! I've barely recovered enough mana for one [Void Gate], maybe two if I use the temporary marker that still has its effect! Three on the other hand might as well kill me for trying!

Taking a swift glance at the formation when given the chance, I discerned a troubling sight! Although I'm managing to do some damage to their numbers, the defence was faltering! Apart from Saaya, the others were engaged in a desperate struggle to fend off the relentless barrage of elemental attacks—fire, metal, earth, water, air, darkness, lightning, and countless others raining down upon us without mercy. It might be better to just have Saaya seal off those entrances as we-

As the ominous threat approached, my instincts sounded and I swiftly raised my dagger, intercepting the oncoming sword with a deft maneuver. The impact reverberated through my arm, its force driving me backward against my will. Yet, what unsettled me most was the sight of the sword—its wielder nowhere to be seen!

T̸h̴a̶t̵ ̷b̶a̶s̵t̸a̴r̸d̷!̵

Dodging the sword's trajectory, I sprang backward, creating some much-needed space between myself and the mysterious weapon. To my surprise, the sword veered away, darting through the forest with eerie grace, eventually halting in proximity to several others of its kind, all of them levitating around their formerly unseen wielder.

Rolmen:
One thing! Just one thing! That's all I want! Just one fucking thing to go my way! But no! Someone always has to come along and screw everything up for me, don't they?!

Kuriyami:
Would that someone happen to be me this time? You make me feel proud of myself!

Rolmen:
Tsk! After Kaizuma went and got killed I thought it might just be better to get rid of you while y'all were depressed or something, but seems like y'all are too much of a group of assholes to mourn.

Kuriyami:
Mourn? How can we even think of mourning when there are still enemies breathing?

Rolmen:
Oh?

Kuriyami:
Kaizuma would come back from the grave just to give us a good kick if he knew we were shedding tears instead of focusing on rescuing Zeef and settling the score!

Rolmen:
Settle the score? You're not the only one itching for paybac-

Kuriyami:
Then let's save our energy for killing!

A swift strike!

Faster than the blink of an eye!

It was my opening move, aiming to close the distance between us in an instant, but he proved himself as no amateur, countering with an agile maneuver of one of his swords that deflected my attack entirely! My arm slid past him, leaving me vulnerable, which was not an opportunity he would let pass. He must have done this specific combination many times since his reaction was instinctual, exploiting the opening to target my exposed front with remarkable speed and precision!

If it weren't for my agility as an assassin capable of executing movements that even the most skilled acrobats would envy, that sword would have pierced right through my chest instead of merely grazing my side as it just did!