ᴀʟʟᴇʀɢɪᴄ ᴛᴏ ᴇᴍᴘᴀᴛʜʏ

Toby walked beside Y/N as they made their way down the hallway. He started to nervously pick at the bandages on his hands without thinking. He had come way too close to doing something he would regret. Now, he would have to act like it didn't bother him.

Y/N peeked down the athletic hallway and smiled at Toby.

"The coast is clear," she said, waving him to come along. Toby followed after her, pushing aside the thoughts and feelings he had towards Y/N. Toby stood in front of the closet before opening the door and flipping on the light inside.

To Toby and Y/N's surprise, Andy and Jason already occupied the closet. Andy was pressed against the wall, and Jason was holding Andy's hips. Both of their hairs were messed up, and a few of the buttons on their shirts popped open.

Toby and Y/N stood in surprise at what they had walked in on.

"Did we interrupt something?" Y/n said, looking between the two. Both Jason and Andy went bright red, and Jason spoke up.

"You never saw this," Jason said, letting go of Andy's hips to point at Toby and Y/N. Y/N turned off the light in the room and shut the door, facing Toby.

"I'm going to be honest; I did not see that coming." Y/n said it with a hint of playfulness in her voice. Toby nodded in agreement before smiling back.

"I guess we'll have to find a different place." Toby's head snapped to the side from a tic, making his neck pop uncomfortably. He rubbed the side of his neck with his hand and looked at Y/N, who was unbothered by the whole ordeal.

"We could just go back to my car. There isn't much else to do here anyway," Y/N said, walking away from the closet door. Toby trailed beside her as they made their way towards the exit door.

"Sure," he said softly, willing to do whatever she wanted. He pushed the door open for Y/N, letting her through first, then going out behind her. Y/N rubbed her arms and started to jog to the car to get out of the cold air. Toby ran up behind her and picked her up, suspending her in the air.

"Toby!" She laughed, trying to squirm her way out of his arms. Toby chuckled along with her, still having a tight grasp on her. He walked to the car with her in the air before setting her down on the driver's side.

Y/N let out a huff of air before nudging Toby's arm.

"You jerk!" She said it jokingly, opening the car door and getting inside. Toby went to his side and hopped in the car with a grin. A new, strange feeling grew inside of him. It was like a sense of belonging, almost like he was normal.

Toby took the car keys from his pocket and set them in the cup holder. Y/N looked in the backseat and pulled out the hoodie Toby gave her the other day.

"I'm glad I kept this in here," she said, pulling the hoodie over her head. Toby felt his face turn pink at the thought of her keeping his hoodie. Toby turned his head the other way and rested his head against the car window.

Toby's eyes slowly looked over to Y/N. She fixed the sleeves on her arms and started the car, hoping to get some warm air circulating. As Y/N was about to switch the car into drive, Toby spoke again.

"I have an idea where we should go."

"Okay, where?" Y/N turned her attention to him. Toby bit his lip nervously.

"We could go to that after party..." He said it quietly, as if expecting a harsh answer in return. Y/N leaned back in her seat.

"I don't know if that's a good idea..." Y/N said softly in return, letting her hand rest on the steering wheel.

"I know, but we haven't got to do much tonight. We barely got to dance at homecoming." Toby muttered, staring at the dashboard. He still felt the burden of the corsage in his pocket. It almost felt even heavier than before.