𝙏𝙝𝙚 𝙎𝙩𝙖𝙧𝙩 𝙤𝙛 𝙁𝙖𝙩𝙚

Y/N sketched notes into her textbook as the teacher spoke. The seat next to her remained empty. The boy who used to sit there hasn't been coming to school for months.

Y/N hasn't seen Toby since homecoming night. The days were bland without him to keep her company. She had to hand around Maddie and her friends, acting like the shadow of Maddie's presence.

Occasionally, Y/N would drive past Toby's house, just to see that the lights were off and no one was home. She feared that he had moved without telling her, or that he simply "disappeared."

People have started calling Y/N and Brad 'High School Sweethearts". Y/N denied it every time, but the rumor spread like wildfire. Even her parents encouraged the relationship, making her hate Brad with a burning passion.

The bell rang for class to be over, and Y/N gathered her things. She was about to leave without a second thought, but her eye caught on something. Toby's desk had a symbol carved into it: a circle with a big 'X' right through the center. Under the symbol were initals.

She hadn't noticed that before, so she took a closer look. The initals were

T.E.R.

Tobias
Something
Rogers

She tilted her head, running her fingetips against the carving. She'd never seen that symbol before. How strange.

Y/N held her belongings close to her and walked out, trying to think of any special significance to what was etched into the table. Her train of thought was soon interrupted by the loud, annoying voice of Brad.

"Hey, sweet-stuff!" He chuckled, wrapping an arm around her shoulders. Y/N groaned in despise and pushed him off.

"I've told you to mess off three times this week, Brad," Y/N said, walking towards the cafeteria. "Why do you try?"

"I know I have a chance," Brad said, sticking his hands into his jean pockets.

"Sorry to burst your bubble, but you don't," Y/N said. Y/N realized she forgot to stop by her locker because of Brad's distraction. She narrowed her eyes at him, holding back vulgar language towards Brad.

Maddie walked up to the table, setting her purse down. She had a look of frustration in her expression.

"Jason hasn't been answering my texts recently." Maddie complained. Y/N didn't bat an eye at her. She was too focused on trying to get Brad to leave her alone for once.

Maddie looked between Brad and Y/N.

"What's up with you guys?" Maddie asked.

"He won't leave me alone!" Y/N shouted, gesturing towards Brad. The volume of her voice started to draw attention from the people eating around them.

"Woah, woah, no need to overreact, princess," Brad said as a smirk crept onto his face.

That was the last straw. Y/N snatched her textbook off of the table and swung it full force into Brad's stomach. Brad let out a loud grunt before falling to his knees on the floor.

The color was washed away from Maddie's face, turning her pale as she watched him collapse. She was stricken speechless by what Y/N did.

Y/N didn't care one bit. She picked up her things and stormed out of the cafeteria. She felt tears sting her eyes, and soon tears slid down her face, but she didn't know why.

Her walk turned into a run as she ran down the hallway. She could hear steps running after her, yet she paid no mind to it. She ran to the athletic closet and opened the heavy door, shutting it and locking it behind her.