ᵗᵉᵈᵈʸ ᵇᵉᵃʳ

The morning sunrise poured through the window, filling the cabin with warm light. Y/N turned over in the bed, pulling the blanket to cover more of herself. Exhaustion lingered through her sore-achy body.

She felt an arm snake around her waist, and her eyes shot open. Toby pulled her against his body, spooning her like a teddy bear.

Y/N shouted in surprise at the uncalled-for touch, and she pushed herself away forcefully. Unfortunately, he pushed herself so hard that she ended up falling off the bed with a thump.

Toby's eyes widened, and he looked off the edge of the bed.

"Why would you do that?" Toby asked with a puzzled expression. His voice was a little gruff from just waking up, and he stretched.

"What do you mean, why?!" Y/N snapped, "You tried to touch me! ...When did you even get in bed anyway?"

"After you fell asleep," he answered, laying on his side and using his elbow to prop himself up. He looked down at Y/N, and she glared, standing back on her feet.

"Don't touch me," Y/N said sternly, pointing an accusatory finger at him. Toby rolled his eyes and grabbed her wrist, yanking her into his arms. "HEY!"

"Calm down; I won't bite...yet" Toby smirked, burying his face in the crook of her neck. His warm breath brushed over her neck, making her shutter. He wrapped his other arm around her waist again, pressing her against his body. The other hand intertwined their fingers together, and Toby breathed her in deeply.

Y/N shrank back in discomfort, but there was a different feeling brewing up inside of her chest. There was a sense of longing, but it was small, so it was easy to push away. She started to squirm in his grasp.

"Let go, Toby!" She said, leaning herself away. His lips, ever so slightly, grazed her skin.

"Give me, like, five minutes..." He said in a sleepy voice, nuzzling his face back into her neck. Toby's eyes fluttered to a half-open contentness. Y/N groaned at Toby's stubbornness.

"Three minutes," Y/N said flatly, knowing she wasn't going to be able to get out of his hold. Her face was flooded with shameful warmth.

"Four minutes?"

"Three and a half, if you let go of my hand."

"Deal."

Toby took his hand away and wrapped it around her waist with the other one. Y/N sighed, giving up on trying to fight it. Toby smirked against her skin in triumph, laying on his back so she was on top of him.

After the longest three minutes of her life, Y/N was finally released from his hold. Toby reluctantly let her go, and she sat up on the bed. Toby looked her up and down with a playful glint in his eye.

"So, where'd ya get that outfit?" Toby asked with a tinge of amusement. He knew exactly where she got it, but he wanted to hear her say it. Y/N's face got even warmer, almost making her break into a nervous sweat.

"I found it," Y/N muttered, giving Toby a side-eye. Toby couldn't wipe the smug look off his face.

"Where did you find it?" He asked, arching his eyebrow. Y/N shot a quick glare at Toby.

"Your. Dresser." She said through gritted teeth. At this point, she couldn't tell if the blush on her face was from anger or from total embarrassment, but she was leaning towards the latter.

Toby chuckled and stood up.

"I don't mind; it looks cute on you," he commented, walking to the small kitchenette. He opened the fridge, looking through the bare amount of contents.

"You can't just say that!" Y/N protested, standing up to follow him. Toby ignored it with a smirk, followed by an eye roll. Y/N stood up and followed him to the kitchenette, but her eyes caught on the safe.

"Toby," she said.

"Yeah?"

"Where did you get that?" Y/N gestured to the safe.

"I found it in your house when I was stealing your car," Toby said causually, pulling out a soda that was hidden behind a bottle of ketchup and cracking it open.

"You what!?" Y/N's eyes widened in utter shock, and she pushed past him, looking through the window. Sure enough, there was her car. In addition, it sported some new bumps and scratches.

"It's fine; I only bumped into a few pedestrians." Toby joked and took a sip of the carbonated drink, but Y/N did not laugh one bit.

"You could have crashed it," Y/N turned to face it.

"But I didn't," he smirked, leaning against the counter. Toby really knew how to get under her skin—the touching, the stupid pet names, the constant joking, that damn charming smile. Y/N grew redder at her own intrustive thoughts.

"Whatever," Y/N grumbled, her eyes flickering back to the safe. "Why'd you bring this back here?" Y/N asked softly, tilting the safe up to her. She could help but feel a little relieved and a little nervous about what lies in the safe.

"I wanted to know what was inside." He said this, looking at the safe as well. "I don't know the code, and I was going to break it open with my hatchet, but I figured I'd wait for you to open it."

Y/N looked at the safe before putting in the code on the padlock. Toby tried to peek over to see what the code was, but she covered it with her hand.

The safe opened, and Toby peered over to see what was inside. Y/N pulled out a folded gray hoodie that had a paper flower on top of it. Toby was underwhelmed by what was in the safe.

"I can't believe it survived that fire," Y/N said, setting the corsage on top of the safe and pulling the jacket over her.

"What is it?" Toby picked up the paper flower to inspect it. Without warning, his eyes glossed over with a wave of emotion, and he gently fixed one of the crooked petals.

"It's the things you gave me before you disappeared..." Y/N muttered, fixing the sleeves of the worn-out hoodie. Toby looked back at Y/N as the buried feelings came back to the surface.

"Why would you keep this...?" Toby asked. His voice changed from its joking tone to one that was quiet and desperate for some sort of logical answer. Y/N looked at him, not expecting the sudden change of emotion.

It was a good question. Why would she keep these things? It happened so long ago. She should have moved on and thrown this stuff out, but she didn't.

Y/N glanced between the corsage and Toby.

"I don't know," Y/N answered. She lied. She knew why she kept it, but she didn't have the guts to say it. The words wouldn't fit right, especially now. She couldn't just say, Hey, I missed you because you just disappeared, and I kind of thought you were dead, but you ended up being a murderer, and I still can't help missing you. Saying that would bring a different level of awkwardness to the conversation.

Toby looked down at the corsage.

"I never got to give this to you myself." Toby whispered, staring at the paper corsage. He carefully took Y/N's hand, and he tied the corsage around it, making sure it wasn't too tight or too loose. Y/N's eyes watched as he did so, her expression softening as she spoke.

"Um, Toby," she started.

"Yes?" He held her hand, meeting Y/N's eyes.

"When we were younger, did you have feelings for me?"