Chapter 24: Beach Balls and Same Crushes

*The lyrics from this chapter are from the song 'La Da Dee' by Cody Simpson*

"Are you guys coming down or not?" Camila yells impatiently from the bottom of the stairs. She looks in the mirror that hangs on the wall and makes sure that her shawl is on properly. "Do I look okay, Y/N?" She turns around to face me and seems unsure of her outfit.

I offer her a reassuring smile and nod my head. "You look awesome, Mila."

Her face lights up and she smiles at me. "Thank you."

We are going to the beach today, and whilst Camila and I are ready to go, the others are still upstairs getting ready. Unlike Camila who is growing impatient at their lateness, I'm looking forward to going. I've only ever been to the beach twice, which is pretty weird for a girl who lives in Miami. I don't know, I've never really enjoyed it, especially when Ally and Camila tried to drag me along with them. But, today, I'm hoping to have some fun with the girls. I've brought my book and notebook, so hopefully, I will.

"We're done, okay?" I hear Dinah chuckle as she walks down the stairs, the other girls in tow. She's wearing a netted shawl with a red bikini underneath, showing off her perfect body. "I just had to make sure my hair looked okay."

"You do realise your hair is going to get wet, right?" I raise an eyebrow at her, teasing her with a small smile.

"Not on my watch," she challenges, taking her stand by Camila and looking in the mirror. As she fixes her hair, she says, "I'm not planning on getting this beauty wet. It took me an hour to do."

The girls and I laugh at her keenness and I take this as my chance to see what the other girls chose to wear. A long, baggy shirt is covering Ally and she is most likely wearing a bikini underneath; Normani is wearing something similar to Ally, except hers is opaque and more of a shawl; Lauren is wearing high waisted denim shorts with a see through tee shirt on top. You can see her black and white bikini underneath and I'm assuming that she has matching bottoms underneath her shorts. I have to admit, she looks good. Really good.

"Only you would bring a backpack to the beach, Y/N," Normani points out my backpack and laughs. I'm not offended, though.

"It's got my notebook and book in," I say, shaking it a little to prove my point. "The beach isn't just for swimming and building sand castles, y'know."

They all raise an eyebrow and send me a look, but I just shrug my shoulders. I always take my book when I go to the beach, so twice. I just find serenity in enjoying a good read with a good view. Is that a crime?

"There's nothing wrong with that," Lauren speaks up, sending Normani a look and then smiling at me with her perfectly straight teeth. "You keep doing you, Y/N."

The other girls snicker and try to hide their laughs and I'm confused at first, but then I roll my eyes at what they insinuated. Of course they would think of such inappropriateness. But Lauren doesn't seem to notice and I smile at her obliviousness. She's so cute.

"Come on, let's go!" Ally says excitedly, dragging the nearest person - Dinah - with her, and out the door.

We all laugh at the smallest girl's eagerness and follow her out the door. We make our way to the Land Cruiser, and after getting in, Lauren starts the car and sets off to the beach.

The journey consists of Lauren and Ally arguing over what song to play on the radio, Ally wanting to dance along to Justin Timberlake and Lauren wanting to rock out to The 1975; Camila is jumping up and down in her seat as she tries to photobomb Dinah and Normani's selfies, them trying their best to push her out and "still look hot"; as all this is occurring, I'm sat in the very back seat and wonder how I am lucky enough to have five awesome best friends.