Chapter 3

Naaaaants ingonyama bagithi Baba,

Sithi uhm ingonyama

I was woken up by the same old song. The Circle Of Life from Lion King. It always scared the crap out of Lilly, but I loved waking up to it. It's funny, and it's loud enough to wake me up on the first try.

I rolled over and slid open my phone to shut it off. Second day of my senior year, and I was already wishing it was over. On the plus side, it was Friday, but I didn't want to spend ten more months embarrassing myself in front of Zayn, listening to Kendall's stupid stories, or walking around that dreadful school. Don't get me wrong, nothing bad had ever happened to me there...but nothing good had either.

After I got dressed in my new floral sundress and tan oxfords, I took my hair down from it's bun. I never do I my hair, simply because it takes too much effort. I shower the night before, let it dry, then sleep with it in a bun. I have naturally curly hair, so I've never really had to do it. It's probably the only thing about my appearance that I've ever admired. It's the only thing Lilly ever told me she envies. I like to think I have a good sense of fashion too...but I didn't have many clothes, so I could be wrong. About a week into school all of my outfits were destined to repeat. The flowy, floral dress that ended at my knees would be the only thing I saved for special days. It was too nice to wear all the time.

I grabbed my canvas backpack and threw it over my shoulders before I went to the kitchen. Lilly always mocked my backpack, she said I was 'trying too hard to be a tumblr girl' but I genuinely love my bag....so per usual I just ignored her.

I walked out to see Lilly wasn't at my house yet. Usually by the time I was ready she'd already let herself in and begun eating my breakfast. I really should've asked for that key back. As I was toasting my bagel I heard footsteps on the stairs.

"Morning, Dad!" I called as I walked toward the steps. "Surprised to see you up this ear- oh. Sorry." My excitement was cut short when a sloppy girl stumbled downstairs, her hair still a mess.

"Ew. He didn't say he had a kid."

"Yeah, why would he. There's the door." I said and head back into the kitchen.

Let me explain. My parents are divorced, and my dad's what many women have called a 'manwhore'. He cheated on my mom, and that's way they split. So when my mom left I just stayed with him. I never really saw him around the house, but it was better than being with my mother. She's...she's another story. My dad disgusts me, but he's tolerable. He works nights at a casino dealing poker, then sleeps all day. And, considering he'd claimed the upstairs as his own, I practically owned the downstairs. He never comes down. He has his own room, bathroom, and 'man cave'. The man cave has a mini fridge and is always stacked with food. He doesn't cook, so he'll never have a reason to leave that luxury life he lives up there. I never really minded, though. He's always given me money when he knows I need it, kept the kitchen full, and Lilly has always come over whenever she wants. I'd say more people did too....but Lilly's the only person I liked enough to let inside my home.

"Did you see a girl leave?" I turned to see my dad tying his robe as he stepped off of the stairs.

"Yeah. I think you found yourself a winner there." I said.

"Sorry about that... Hey, I've been meaning to ask, how's school? You just started right?"

"Started yesterday. It's fine I guess. Nothing's really changed." I shrugged and took a bite out of my bagel.

"I knew I gave you money for school clothes. That new?" He said and pointed to my dress. I nodded. "Looks nice. How many other outfits did you get?" He asked and poured himself a glass of juice.