Chapter 45: Fou's Forced Forgiveness

Sitting in the back of the cafeteria, I hide behind my mountain of food so my friends didn't come over here. Lavi, Lenalee, and an obviously annoyed Kanda were eating near the center of the cafeteria. The back of the cafeteria was crudely lighted, and I had taken to eating back here, away from any and all attention.

The last plate of food I had was about to go into the garbage disposal I call my mouth when I stop mid-bite.

Crack!

Next thing I know, a chair is across the room and Kanda was in the floor, red blooming on his left cheek, and a furious looking Fou standing over him. Hoarsely coughing, he pushes himself up enough to look at the humanoid as she yells, "What kind of idiot are you?! I know firsthand that you jump to conclusions, and you still haven't learned you lesson. If I had known, I would have already wiped the halls with your face, but it wasn't until last night when Allen told me that I found out how much of a freakin' arrogant jerk you are!

"I was in the hall that night, and I saw Allen push that finder off him and run back to his room, but no, you didn't believe him. Do you realize how much crap he's gone through because of you? Because if you don't, I can list them off for you right now. Now, Yu Kanda, you find Allen, get on your knees, and beg for forgiveness!"

By the end of the rant, everyone was gaping at Fou since she hadn't gotten punched. Truly, I think that if it had been anyone else, save for Lenalee and me, they would have a katana up their butt. Kanda was frozen, but as soon as Fou kicked his foot, he was up and darting toward our room.

People were clapping for some reason as I leave my food and follow him, running as fast as my legs would allow, but Kanda had a head start and was faster than I am anyways. In less than a minute, I was at the door of our room, and I open it, finding Kanda face down on his bed. Shutting the door, I say, "I was in the cafeteria."

Before I knew what was happening, Kanda's arms were around me, his body shuddering as he obviously tried not to cry, and he whispers, "I'm sorry! I-I-I can't make it up, no matter what I do, can I?"

"I don't know," I say, leading him to the bed and lying beside him. For once, Kanda was the one curled up into me, crying while I held him in my arms, and I tell him, "I know you were stupid and a jerk, but why are you crying?"

Instead of replying, he traces his finger over my cut arm, still covered by my turtleneck, and I scold, "It is not your fault that happened, Kanda. Do you hear me? It's not your fault!"

Again, he doesn't say anything, just stares at my chest, and I pull away since I needed a shower, but he grips my shirt, "Don't go."

"I need a shower, but you can take one with me," I say, sitting up and waiting for him to answer, but silence fills the air until Kanda grabs me by the waist and pulls me back down. A small yelp escapes my lips as he holds me in a death grip, my back against his chest, and I wonder if this was his way of saying that even if he had been crying, he was still the guy of the relationship, but that's the way I like it. Closing my eyes, I murmur, "Or later."

His lips press against my head and he whispers into my crown, "Right."

There was a creeping suspicion that the back of my head was probably soaked by the time we ever got up to take a shower, which was probably close to eight. As always, Kanda was stark naked and adjusting the faucet while I stood in the corner, my back to him as I strip down, but he doesn't say anything as he steps into the shower.

Peeling the gauze from my arm, I quietly follow my boyfriend into the shower, closing the curtain behind me, and Kanda was wetting his hair by standing right under the steaming water flow. Standing on my tiptoes, I lace my fingers behind his neck, water running down my face as I slowly bring my lips closer to his. We stay that way for a few moments, our lips hardly brushing as we wait for the other to move when Kanda gets aggravated and seals the tiny distance that felt like a million miles.