Chapter Twelve

(Clarke's POV)

"This...this isn't what it looks like." Lexa's voice trembled.

"Oh I'm sure it looks exactly like what it is."

The Ice Queen's gaze held so much cruelty that Clarke shrunk away from her, trying to melt into the wall. Despair filled her as she realized she had just blown any chance she might have had with creating peace for her people. Anguish tore through her and she wanted to scream from frustration. She risked a glance over at Lexa and saw the once great Commander cowering, looking like a kicked puppy. Guilt and misery washed over her like a cold shower as she realized she had also ruined everything for Lexa. Everything she had worked so hard to attain, and any chance of happiness she might have had. The Queen began to laugh and the sound soon filled the hallway. It was colder than ice and held promises of torture to come. Clarke flinched as though it were slapping her in the face.

"Please." Clarke gasped, her voice barely louder than a whisper. "This isn't the Commander's fault. If you want to punish someone then hurt me, but leave her alone."

"Oh please. This is all the Commander's fault. She wanted to trick the coalition into believing that an alliance with you would benefit us all when, in reality, it would only benefit her."

"Please. Just let me explain..." Clarke was desperately pleading now.

"No. Enough. I know exactly what is happening and I am not going to keep this quiet, I can promise you that."

Clarke saw movement out of the corner of her and eye and she turned to find Lexa moving forward, her head held high.

"Nia, I order you to leave immediately. You will say something important came up that required your attention and I order you to tell no one of what you witnessed here tonight."

Instead of backing away to fulfill the Commander's command, the Queen met Lexa eye to eye.

"Or what...you'll kill me?" She challenged Lexa, her tone mocking.

Before Clarke could even react, Lexa had whipped out a dagger she had concealed in the folds of her dress. She held the sharp blade against the Queen's throat, pressing hard enough that a few drops of blood slid down her neck, staining her white dress.

"Try me." Lexa gave a sadistic smile.

It looked as though Nia was going to back down but, before she had a chance to surrender, the door to the ballroom creaked open. Nobody moved an inch, but Clarke let her eyes shift so that she could see who was coming. Roan was staring back at them, confusion, but nothing more, written all over his face. The Queen's shoulders relaxed and she let out a sigh of relief.

"What is going on?" Roan simply asked as he walked towards them.

"Your mother is trying to destroy Lexa's coalition." Clarke spit out through clenched teeth.

The Queen laughed and smiled sweetly at her son, despite the fact that Lexa hadn't lowered her knife.

"I think you might be twisting the truth and leaving some important information out, aren't you dear?"

Clarke clenched her fists but refused to give in to Nia's snide remarks.

"You see Roan, the Commander has been deceiving us all. I caught her sharing an intimate moment with Clarke and I quickly came to realize something. The Commander doesn't care about an alliance, she just cares about that girl."

A heavy feeling settled in the pit of Clarke's stomach. Not knowing what else to do, she quickly turned to Roan, ready to defend herself as well as Lexa. However, he quickly held up a hand, silencing her.