Chapter Nineteen

(Lexa's POV)

When she woke the next morning, her arms were still wrapped protectively around Clarke. The soft furs had slipped most of the way off them but Lexa didn't mind. She had forgotten to close the curtains and so a soft morning glow was shining into the room, making Clarke's hair glow like a halo around her. Lexa took a deep breath and closed her eyes, embracing the serene moment. If all mornings could be like this, Lexa thought, then I would always wake up happy, never having to complain about anything ever again. Unwillingly she pulled her arms away from Clarke and groggily sat up. She forced herself to stand up, but not before looking longingly back at the tempting bed. By the time Lexa had gotten dressed in formal execution day wear, and had painted her face, Clarke still had not stirred. Breakfast was brought to their room and it was only when the scent of warm bacon filled the air did Clarke slowly open her eyes. She gave a half hearted attempt to reach the plate from across the bed but Lexa quickly snatched it out of the way.

"You can eat when you are dressed."

Clarke dramatically sighed but pulled herself out of bed nonetheless. She shamelessly pulled her shirt over her head and motioned for Lexa to hand her the traditional garments she was required to wear. Lexa was in the process of doing so when her eyes landed on the stitched up gash in Clarke's side. She gulped uneasily as she was reminded of why she needed to detach herself from her soulmate, no matter how much she did not want to. I'm too dangerous for her, Lexa thought, nothing good will ever come from loving me. She passed Clarke the clothing items and averted her eyes. No matter how hard she tried to shove her emotions down Clarke was always able to see right through her. Clarke slide on the silky, deep red dress and Lexa stared at her in complete and utter awe. She didn't think that she would ever not be surprised at the radiant beauty that was Clarke.

Despite Lexa's room being secluded, she could still hear the many people gathering outside her mansion. The execution of someone was always a very big deal to people and nothing was spared in the preparation of this morbid festival. Lexa had never been fond of the way people got so excited about someone's death, but she knew the execution and example was necessary.

She grabbed the bowl of paint from her bathroom and carried it over to the desk. Clarke obediently sat down and closed her eyes, allowing Lexa to paint her face as she pleased. It was customary for all important clan leaders and warriors to paint their faces for this ceremony, so long as no one copied the Heda's design. Lexa slowly dipped the brush into the paint and gently began to apply it to the area around Clarke's eyes. She allowed her hands to paint at will, the brush flowing smoothly over Clarke's skin. When she was satisfied, she pulled back to look at her work. Clarke slowly raised her eyes to meet Lexa's. She looked like a warrior, a beautiful, tenacious warrior. The look almost frightened Lexa, but she knew this appearance would show the other leaders that she was serious.

"How do I look?" Clarke whispered so softly that Lexa almost didn't hear her.

"Words cannot describe your beauty."

Lexa slowly stroked her fingers along Clarke's check and down her jaw, trying to memorize every little detail like she might never see her again. Because you won't. The minute the execution is over you are sending her back home, back to her people. It is not fair for you to keep her here in your dangerous presence. She leaned forward and softly placed her lips on Clarke's, letting herself linger there as if she had all day. She knew that if she were to send Clarke away as soon as possible this would quite possibly be the last time she ever kissed her. Clarke must have sensed something because she pulled back slightly, her eyes searching Lexa's.

"Is everything alright? Are you okay?"

"I'm fine. I just don't particularly look forward to these kinds of days like most of my people do."