Prologue

"With Lincoln as our president, victory for the North is certain!" Alexander happily said to himself, neglecting the fact that Cassandra, his newly wedded wife, was only but a few feet away from him.

Alexander was a soldier who fought for the army. He was always very proud of his job and was more devoted to it than any other soldier in America.

"Yes, indeed it is," Cassandra softly said, trying to show some hope and happiness in her tone.

No reply.

Well, in this case, there wasn't a need for him to reply. 

But what about all the other times?

Normally this was how conversations during their day went:

"Alexander, I've cooked us food and it's sitting at the table."

No reply.

"How's your family?"

No reply.

"Would you like fish for dinner?"

No reply, but for this he would throw a disgusted look  - he absolutely hated fish.

They have gotten married just a few days before, yet Alexander still never bothered to take even a glance at the woman he was to be with for the rest of his life.

  On the other hand, Cassandra was his new wife who did house chores, cooking, and other domestic services – like most other girls did at that time.  

Poor Cassandra had been trying with all her might to start a new life with him, but at a time like this, marriage and having a new family wasn't on his mind at all.

It was 1860, and preparations for the Civil War have finally started.