Chapter 16

"ALRIGHT LADIES, I'M GOING TO PICK A FEW OF YOU AND YOU WILL TELL ME WHY WE ARE ALL HERE...IS THAT CLEAR?" 

 All the women in the auditorium agreed in unison.  

"Even when having a megaphone with her," Jenny whispered to Lily, "this woman just has to yell into it."

"Oh lord I'm going to be deaf by the time this training is over," Lily whispered back, "Why else is there such a device? Does this lady not know why she was given one?"

"I'm afraid not," Jenny replied. Just then the lecturer stood silent and glared at them.

Oh lord, we're dead

"YOU TWO! I'LL JUST ASK YOU BOTH FIRST THEN! SO, WHY ARE WE WOMEN HERE IN THIS AUDITORIUM?"

Without thinking Lily blurted out, "We are here for the training."

"NO...WE ARE HERE TO FEED CHICKENS!"

What?

"OF COURSE WE ARE HERE FOR THE TRAINING! OH YOU STUPID LITTLE GIRL!"

Hmph, well that wasn't very nice...

"YOU!" the woman pointed to Jenny next.

"WHY ARE WE ALL HERE?"

With the fear this short and chubby woman gave her, she didn't bother to take any time to think.

"We are here to become army nurses."

"NO...WE ARE HERE TO BECOME CHICKEN FARMERS!"

This woman...and what is it with her and chickens?

"WELL THEN WE HAVE ANOTHER STUPID LITTLE GIRL! IS THERE ANYONE HERE WHO ISN'T ONE? HOW ARE YOU ALL SUPPOSED TO BECOME ARMY NURSES WHEN YOU CAN MERELY ANSWER MY SIMPLE QUESTION?"

"Oh those poor things," Cassandra thought and looked at them with sympathy.

"YOU TWO HAVE ONLY JUST WASTED MY TIME, SO SIT DOWN! I DON'T HAVE TIME TO ASK ANYONE ELSE...THANKS TO YOU TWO!"

Lily and Jenny awkwardly sat back down in there seats.

Then only did the training actually start.

***

The Alexander and his friends stood by the man-made lake that was near there tent and spent some time skipping stones. 

"From what I heard," George began, "hundreds of army nurses will be making an arrival here today."

"Army nurses?" Alexander asked perplexed.

"Yeah, army nurses...and why is you face like that, Alex?"

"Army nurses..." Alexander stopped skipping stones and walked away, towards their tent.

"What happened to him?" Henry asked amused.

"Did he have some bad history with an army nurse?" Fernando joked and the men laughed as they visioned a scene where Alexander was too scared when a nurse was giving him a shot on his upper arm.

They often had pretty specific visions...

Alexander paced back and forth in the tent.

"Could Cassandra have chosen to become an army nurse...possibly to be with me?" he asked himself as he paced around. 

"No," he replied to his own question, "how could she? I've been nothing but a cruel idiot to her! I lost my chance. Had I been kinder to her before, I wouldn't be having this doubt about her coming or not. Oh lord, couldn't you have shown me the right path?"