Chapter 19

Two days later...

Alexander woke up to the sound of bullets and cannons, again, and so did the others in the tent. Within seconds they all grabbed onto their weapons and rushed out of the tent and onto the battlefield. 

"I thought they would have gotten it by now!" Alexander mumbled with fury.

"Looks like they haven't accepted their defeat yet," Fernando remarked. 

Although the bush technique worked successfully for the last two days, the group of soldiers used another tactic this time. 

"Come on, quick!" Alexander commanded the soldiers the hide within the branches of a big, strong tree. 

He stood watchful of the scene from the top of the tree, while the others were on the lower branches. Most of the other Union soldiers were battling from their fort, which the Confederates were attempting the make the Union soldiers surrender.

"Ahhh," Fernando began, "so this is why you made us where green today, Alexander!"

"No Fernando, I made us wear green to sit on rocks and look like moss."

The other soldiers grinned. 

Like the previous day, the soldiers took advantage of every opportunity when some Confederates were facing their back towards them.

Yet this technique could only work if they were shot to their death - if they were still alive, they could inform the others of where the bullets were coming from. 

Although the Union soldiers were succeeding in their plan and seem to be defeating the Confederates, it was such a pain for Alexander to see fellow Union solders getting shot to their death. 

"They died doing a good deed," he thought to himself. 

Suddenly a bullet broke his thoughts.

It rushed passed right above his shoulder, thankfully it didn't hit. 

He continued to keep watch for the rest of the battle and remained ready at any second to shoot a Confederate to his death.

Meanwhile, George was in the army nurse tent, resting under Alexander's command.

*** 

"And then I held his neck and snapped it. I watched him wobble down to his death!" George narrated with pride. The twenty or so army nurses surrounding him gasped.

"Really!"

"Oh my"

"You are so strong!"

The nurses were giving flattering compliments at the man with the injured shoulder. 

Among the nurses surrounding him, surprisingly, wasn't Meredith. She stood awkwardly outside the the circle and was continuing to organize her nurse materials in her box. 

"Oh look at them," she remarked with annoyance, "just throwing themselves at him!"

Caroline nudged Meredith's shoulder, "Are you jealous, Meredith?"

"No!" she snapped, but later she realized the woman wasn't completely wrong. 

"Oh Meredith," Caroline chuckled, "It all starts with jealousy!" 

Meredith gasped and widened her eyes, "Caroline!"

Caroline chuckled and walked off, leaving the confused Meredith to herself. 

Cassandra was siting one one of the beds in the tent and she opened up her luggage, looking for something that she really needed at the moment. 

Her Jesus statue.