Chapter 1- Hoping for better

Two months Later.... Chapter 1

Amber sat in her motel room scanning through the classified ads. She was desperate to find a place to live. She had enough money left for a week at the roach infested "STELLER INN", but if she spent it on living there, she would have no money left for rent. She had to find a place today.

Her scholarship paid for tuition and books, but she was on her own for housing. She needed to find some where fast, classes started Monday and it was already Thursday.

Rejecting one ad after another, most due to price of the rent, she was starting to feel very hopeless until she came across one last ad that read:

"Looking for one more roommate. Have a 5-bedroom house, with one empty room. All bills split, rent $125/month. Call Micca or Lucca at...."

Not trying to get her hopes up because this place she could actually afford, Amber read it one more time and picked up the motel phone. Cringing from the germs she knew had to be on it. Shrugging because she knew she had no other choice. If she waited to call from her work in a couple of hours, the room could be gone.

Her delicate hand pushed in the number that had been listed, while she listened to the ring, she looked around her dingy room. The orange shag carpet had seen better days, there was dark stains all over it. Amber didn't even want to begin to imagine where they had come from. The TV, sitting on top of the warn out dresser was stuck on one channel, the Spanish channel, and couldn't be turned off. The bathroom door hung from one hinge and wouldn't shut. But at least the double bed she had been sleeping on had clean sheets on it.

"Hello" Amber jumped and then remember she was on the phone.

"Hello, my names Amber, I was calling for Lucca or Micca."

She heard a soft chuckle, then "This is Micca, how can I help you sweety?"

Amber was glad Micca couldn't see her cringe at that. She hated meaningless nicknames. "I was calling about your spare room."

"Oh," Micca's sigh came across the line clearly. "Well, we were only going to rent to a guy. I'm sorry."

"Oh," Micca must have heard her soft, dejected reply, because he came back with, "However, if you want to come over and take a look at the room, we might be able to work something out."

Amber's hopes rose a little. His reply was nice and seem to hold no double meaning like she was so used to. Not giving into the fear that was so hard trying to break thru, she asked. "Okay, Will three be, okay? I have to be at work by five."

Micca chuckled, "That's fine. Lucca or I will be here." He gave her the address and said goodbye. Amber sat the phone down on the receiver and stood up. Still pushing away the fear of talking to a male had given her, Amber glanced down to see if her tennis shoes, jeans and white cotton tee shirt was clean enough for her to wear for a walk. Deciding it was she checked the time on her watch, 1:45 p.m. She spent more time looking thru the want ads then she had thought. She needed to get going if she was going to make the seven mile walk to the address Micca had given her. Grabbing her book bag and keys she walked out the door. Not giving herself time to change her mind. She needed this room.