9 | f r i e n d s ?

My eyes widen in panic. All morning I've been in a frenzy, trying to get to class on time and do things right. I just found out yesterday that the better you do, the faster you can leave. I've been here for three months now — the Academy's still being haunted.

I run through the hallways in the main castle, bumping into people. I accidentally push someone into the wall and another boy into a door which opens and he falls inside. I take a quick glance at him and let out a snicker. He fell into the girls bathroom.

I turn my attention back to my destination and ignore everyone else around me. I dash down the hallway, turning around the corner, trying to get to Shank's class. But I slam right into a person.

I fall, eyes bugging out in shock, and brace myself for the impact with the floor. Instead I feel myself standing upright, my feet balanced evenly on the ground. But an arm is wrapped around my waist. I gaze up into gold/grey eyes that look equally as surprised as I am.

Law.

I immediately step back, glaring at the him but a bit flustered. "Move."

"Sorry." He says quietly, stepping to the side, turning his head away. But I see his red face and look at him in confusion.

Well, this is awkward.

And is he blushing?

I shake off my thoughts and look at him once more, a cold look in my eyes. "Where're you off to anyway?"

"Training and Strategy with Shanks." He says coolly, regaining his composure as well.

I raise an eyebrow and point down the way he was coming from. "You know his class is over there, right?"

"I wanted to go to the library to study medical books." He responds swiftly. "My time here is decreased every time I help someone at the infirmary. I offered to work there along with Chopper-ya earlier this school year. The staff and faculty have let us."

"Yeah well, I better get to class." I say, walking away. I stride down the hall but hear footsteps behind me. I glance at him. "Not going to the library?"

"I've been skipping class for months now. I might as well go now rather than never." He shrugs.

"That explains why I've never seen you in Training and Strategy before." I reply thoughtfully.

We walk into class right on time. Shanks sits at his desk, feet propped up on the table. A book covers his face and his snoring can be heard. Exasperated, I walk up to him and kick his chair over. He lands on the floor with a thud.

"Ow." He whines, his chair on his legs. He looks around groggily. "What's going on?" His eyes finally meet mine, my face angry. He gulps. "Hey, (Y/N). How's it going?"

"Shut up and teach, Old Man."

"Got it!" He says cheerfully, getting up and fixing his chair.

I roll my eyes and slide into my desk, Law taking the seat beside me and Luffy occupying the other.

"Oi, (Y/N)!" Luffy smiles goofily. "We're going to the Arcademia after. Come with us."

"Okay." I smile a bit at him.

Shanks clears his throat, his eyes trained on me. "Today we're going to be fighting beasts. But you have to come up with a way to defeat them. I'm telling you now, they're as smart as humans and they've eaten SMILE fruits."

"Where exactly are these beasts?" Someone asks.

"Have you ever wondered why there's a tall barbed wire fence surrounding the school?" Shanks asks, a grin on his face.