Chapter 23- Warning

"Hailey," the voice was a whisper and I stirred in my sleep. "Hailey!"

Sitting up and glancing around, I noticed a shadow in the trees ahead of me. I narrowed my eyes and slowly stood up. My powers blazed with the want to defend myself if needed; I ignored it.

"Hailey," the shadow spoke like a hiss of the trees in the wind.

"Who are you? What do you want?"

The shadow seemed to have turned, facing me with bright blue eyes. I doubled back, my feet carrying me backwards a few steps, as the shadow stepped forwards.

"Keegan?" I whispered.

My husband, perfectly untouched and beautifully glowing in the moonlight, met my wide gaze. His lips were stiff in a frown, his eyes traveling over my body as if he were rating it. I took a cautious step forwards.

"What have you done?" Keegan whispered.

"W-What do you mean?" I spoke firmly back. "How are you alive?"

"How could you have done this?" Keegan backed away slightly.

"Done what?" I begged. "Keegan, please!"

As Keegan continued to turn and walk away from me, I followed him. His muscular form was easy to pick out in the dark umbrella of the trees. I didn't want to lose sight of him, afraid that my reality was a dream.

"Keegan, where are you going?"

"How could you have done this?"

I stopped to Keegan's repeat. His narrowed blue gaze met my green one as he turned. I could feel confusion and anger pouring out of him.

"Tell me what you're talking about."

"You know what I'm talking about," Keegan clenched his jaw.

"I don't, really!" I whined.

Keegan began walking through the trees again. I must have followed too closely, because he suddenly grabbed my hair in his tight fists. I let out a yelp of surprise and cowered as Keegan dragged me.

"What are you doing? Let me go!" I couldn't find the power inside of me to make him release me.

"This is what I'm talking about!" Keegan clutched my chin in his cool hand and yanked my gaze towards a small opening in the trees.

My gaze reluctantly widened. The clouded, lifeless pairs of eyes that met mine made my spine shiver. I could hear screams and shouts of those I'd been against for so long. My heart skipped a beat.

"What happened to them?"

"Say their names."

"N-No," I felt a tear travel down my cheek.

"Say them!" Keegan gripped my chin tighter when I tried to pull away.

"Hesh, Logan, Merrick and Jason," I whimpered. "What happened to them, Keegan?"

"You let this happen!" Keegan hissed, throwing me to the ground.

"What is with you?" I looked up to his dark gaze. "Did you....kill them?"

"Me?" Keegan huffed. "I tried to save them!"

"If all of the Ghosts are dead, then how are you alive?" I demanded, standing.

Keegan gripped my wrists sternly and slammed me back against the tree. I let out a choked grumble and closed my dizzying eyes. A snap of a twig made my eyes shoot open.

"You let them take us," Keegan whispered, his gaze shifting to where another shadow moved behind the bodies. "All of us."

"Them? Who?"

Keegan focused his depressing blue gaze upon the shadow and the bodies. I followed his gaze, my breath recovering from Keegan's outburst. We watched the cloaked shadow in silence.

"There's only one person," I breathed.

"You let them do it," Keegan faced me again. "You could've stopped them, but you didn't!"

"Please tell me what you're talking about!" I pleaded.

Keegan's firm grasp on my wrists had turned to a comforting hold of my hands. I looked down at our linked hands, warmth spreading through me. When I gazed up to Keegan's eyes, they held the gentleness he'd always had around me.

"You will see in time, Hails," Keegan's voice was syrup on waffles. "Don't let them do this."

"Please tell me what," I whispered.

"I already did," Keegan's lips touched my ear.

Turning my head to kiss his thick lips, I met cool air instead.

I whipped my body around, standing in the center of the Federation base I'd taken refuge in. Few soldiers lived in it, but I'd promised to make that change.

"Keegan?" I spun around.

"Are you alright, ma'am?"

"Fine," I waved off a soldier who'd seen me dancing around like a wild woman.

What the hell was that?

~~~

I am truly sorry for the length of this chapter and wait for the update! I promise it won't be as long of a wait this time!

Don't forget to vote, comment your thoughts, shoot me a follow (300 PLEASE!!!!) and share this trilogy around! Check out my Call of Duty Scenarios book too! I need requests and more reads! :)

Love you all!

~MS~