71 9 8

aidan

slipping in through the front door, he walks in to see his mom watching how to get away with murder. she presses pause. "come sit with me."

10:03 p.m.

palms sweating, he takes a seat on the couch next to her. he tries to ignore her intense stare, the one that sees right through him. "sorry i'm late."

"it's okay," she smiles a little. "what happened? who were you with?"

"everett," he breathes.

"the one you did that paper with? what's he—"

"do you know what demisexual means?"

"demi— what?"

"it means that you form an emotional bond with someone before becoming, like, physically attracted to them. and i know that sounds like i could be straight, but it doesn't matter what gender the person is; i don't swing unless i have a connection with someone."

she still seems confused. "okay...?"

"what would you do if i told you i was demisexual?"

"so everett..."

"may or may not be my boyfriend," aidan states.

she rubs her face, obviously confused. "that's good...? how important is he to you? how long has this been going on?"

"a few days..."

"well i hope to get to know him sometime," she puts her feet up on the ottoman and presses play to finish her episode.

"can you not say anything to dad?" aidan wrings his hands, trying not to acknowledge the anxiety creeping back. "not yet... i'll tell him eventually."

"our little secret," she kisses his cheek. "goodnight, mon amour."