Chapter 3: Like Nothing Ever Happened

"Imani you hungry?" Sy asked shaking me out of my sleep. I sat up to be met with a pounding head ache. I held my forehead picking up my hills. "I'm good Arie. Im going home." I said slowly trying walk.

" Alright Girl. Call me." She said closing her room door.

"Need a ride home baby?" Omari asked handing me my phone. "I drove and thanks." I said making my way down the spiral stairs. As soon as I opened the door I felt him grab my arm.

"Come to my show tonight?" He asked. His hands made its way down my arm to my hand.

Omari was dressed different from when I saw him to show him the house. He actually looked decent. I shook my head no.

"Im not doing this twice in a row. I still have to work." I laughed. He said alright then walked to my car.

"Nice whip." He said before pulling me into a hug. He smelled so good. I dug my face in the crook of his neck. Omari held me tighter.

Without realizing I had forgot I was leaving. Pulling away I said goodbye again then headed back to my place.

When I came into the building there was a tall bald brown skin guy sitting at the desk. "Where's Mitch?" I asked confused. "Out sick." The man replied.

I sighed making my way into the elevator. Im tired as fuck. I just want to lay in my bed.

The elevator dinged then the doors opened. I screamed as I was snatched forcefully being thrown into my island.
Four men stood on the other end of me.

One of them held a gun in my face. "Where's your brother Imani?" He asked.

I tried to keep my cool. To the whole fact that these random niggas are in my house. " I don't kno-.." He pistol whipped me. I held my face.

"I didn't ask you if you knew I said where is he?!" He screamed. My heart started to beat out of my chest.

"I said I don't fucking know! What? You expect me to pull this nigga out of my pocket?!" I yelled. I screamed as I was pushed onto my back.

He walked back over to his boys. "Kev owes me 50 grand. You can tell me where he is or you can give me the money. If not IMA let every one of mans have a turn with you."

"Fuck you." I said staring into his eyes. I shouldn't be in this situation. My brother is supposed to love and protect his family. What the fuck is this?

"Y'all have fun with this bitch. Then shoot her like you did the old lady." He lit a cigarette and started to walk away.

Old lady? Tears started to fall from my eyes as I opened a drawer feeling for my 40 smith and western. I cocked it back watching the the three men walk towards me.

I shot two in the head then ducked behind my island. Just then there was a ding at my elevator and in walking was Kev.

"Imani what the fuck." He froze in his foot steps staring at the bodies. "Just the man I wanted to see." I crawled over to my couch to get my phone.

"Raul? Aww man." He said putting his hands in the air. "You got my 50 g's?" He asked cracking his knuckles. Kev looked at me from the corner of his eye.

I could see the sorrow. He started to shake his head no.

I stood up and shot twice, but it was too late. I saw Kevin's body drop in the mix of it. I walked over to his body and dropped down to my knees.

"Kevinnn!'' I cried. My heart was broken. I couldn't feel my chest I felt like my world was falling apart.

"You're not going to die." I whispered as I closed my eyes.

Kevin used to protect me when we were taken by foster care because Mom did crack and couldn't provide the basic necessities.

I picked him up throwing his arm over my shoulder. I quickly made my way to my car. In the same bloody clothes and all.

"Mani what happened?" I was spooked by Omari. I fiddled with my keys trying to unlock my car. Just then Sy'Arie came running over. "Oh my god. " she said looking at my clothes.

"My nephews. He needs a hospital." I said getting in the car. "I'll take him." Arie said then helped me put him in her car. Blood was everywhere and he groaned in pain.

I drove frantically to my Moms house.

Running inside I was met with a dead body at the door.

Mommy laid there lifeless.

I ran upstairs. "Ace? Alfa?" I yelled through the halls. There was no sign of them anywhere. Temp came upstairs.  "I can't find them." I said trying to keep my breathing steady.

"You think they have them?" He asked I shook my head no. "Mani we checked the crib no one else is here." Temp said putting his hand on my shoulder.

I started to cry again leaning my head back. That's when I saw it. The string for the ladder to the attic. I pulled it bringing down the ladder.

"Alfa?" I called. Just then we heard foot steps and Two heads popped out the attic. They came down hugging me tightly. "They killed Umi yo." Ace cried then whipped his tears.

We went down stairs. They froze at the site of his grandmother at the door. "Go get in my car." I said and watched them leave.

"Listen Mani I can make all this disappear for you, but no funerals." He said giving me a proposal.

"So, everything would just be gone?" I asked wiping my eyes again. "Like it never happened. Just come chill at my crib until yours is ready." He said.  I nodded my head kissing Umi goodbye.

~•~

When we got to Omari's place Ace and Alfa went into a room and has just been in there. They won't come out. "Thanks Arie I love you." I said hugging her then changing into the clothes she gave me.

Every time I feel the pain she makes it just a bit easier to hold on.

"Mani you look good." Temp whispered into my ear. I thanked him spinning around quickly. I walked into the kitchen for a bottled water.

"Your brother is alive. He was gone when Arie went to check on him." He said putting his phone in his pocket.

"I don't care if he comes near me or Them I'll kill him." I said then headed to the room the boys was in. Walking in I was met with a cloud of smoke.

"This is why you won't come out?" I questioned sitting next to Ace. He looked at me with eyes bloodshot red. "I'm killing my pain." He  said. I took the blunt out his hand.

"I know we lost them. Its your Dads fault. Asshole, but listen yall still have me." I said putting my pinky out. They linked them promising to love and protect.

I took a couple of puffs giving it Alfa. "I love you Aunt Mani." He called to me. "I love you too but don't drown in your sorrows." I said then headed to the living room.

"Baby let me take you and the twins to Dubai get your mind off the bad." He asked wrapping his arms around my waist.

I cocked my head back. "Why are you doing all this?" I asked crossing my arms. Not everyday you meet someone willing to cover up shit for you.

"I don't usually fall fast but I know a real one when I see it." He said smiling at me. He pulled me in placing a soft kiss on my lips. I started to turn pink as I looked away.

There was a vibration. Omari looked at his phone.

"You can go home now and your Mom's house is yours too. See you, I have a show to get ready for." He said giving me a kiss on the cheek then disappearing.

I grabbed the boys taking them back to my house. When the elevator doors opened everything looked back to normal. Like nothing ever happened.