1.13 Zhang and Jing

A man was leaning his weight against a wooden table, his forehead creasing slightly. He was garbed in midnight-colored robe embroidered with golden threads on his sleeves. Although the apparel he wore was not one suited for winter, the cold weather outside did not bother him one bit. The room he was in was adequately warmed by a couple of braziers. His jet black hair was tied and gathered on top, secured with a golden coronet.

The man was not young anymore, close to forty years old, yet his whole being still exuded sharpness and regality. His eyebrows were thick and resembled pointed swords. Although he had passed his prime days, one could see that he was a dragon among men. Even during his youth, he were respected by men and coveted by women. Despite somewhat very simply attired, he looked anything but ordinary. 

(The Emperor Zhang SongWang)

This man was the current monarch of Da Lang Empire, also commonly referred to Zhang Empire, Emperor Zhang SongWang.

Across the table, Ji ChanFang and Zhen YongWen were also examining the scroll. Various drawings, symbols, and characters depicting the Da Lang empire and its surroundings' landscape and landmarks were there.

The scroll was one big map.

"There is always a basis for rumor, regardless how little the truth is within." The man sighed, while running his fingers slowly through a sketch of mountains, which was drawn next to a wide open space, only marked with symbol of a field. It was the Northern Plains.

Apparently there was a bit of unrest in the Northern Plains. Once more, tribal wars were ripe.

Da Lang and the Northern Plains were only separated by the northern hills and wilderness. They had tactfully maintained their somewhat peaceful relationship because of their past ties when the Northern Plains was somewhat collectively ruled by the strongest leader then.

There was a large incident before Emperor Zhang ascended to the throne. The Northern Plains had always been plagued with tribal unrest, all the small tribes constantly struggled for the highest power. Hence the previous Emperor had turned a blind eye; after all, if the tribes wasted their time to fight amongst themselves, Da Lang did not really have to worry about the tribes turning their eyes towards their domain. Back then, the tribe leader had his share of worry in containing all the smaller powers underneath and had no time to shift his gaze towards Da Lang.

During his days, Emperor Zhang, Ji ChanFang, and the then-holder of Wolf Seal, Old General Xun, had traveled to the Northern Plains to observe the tribal's conflicts.

Back then, the Jing tribe leader, who was also the largest tribe and considered the mightiest of all, was assassinated during one of the tribal wars. The more cunning tribes joined forces in their attack and they were quite successful in creating chaos.

Emperor Zhang who was under the tribe leader's territory and protection during his stay in the Northern Plains, had to spend efforts to subdue the smaller tribes. After all, with the communal tribe leader's passing, the empty seat of the unofficial ruler was free for the taking. In the Northern Plains, the strongest was the leader. Strength depicted authority, strength symbolized absolute. Unfortunately in the harsh conditions of the Plains, everyone coveted this authority if only to strengthen their own tribe's standing. With authority and power, their tribe would not lack territory and privileges granted along with it. Wider territory meant more games to hunt, more farms to sustain their people, more livestock to be owned.