1.62 Memories (2)

Imperial Physician Su stumbled backwards as he tried to keep his old body standing straight. 

"The Emperor... wants me... to treat a bird."

"I have been an esteemed highly sought-after physician for a number of years. My family has been serving the imperial family for generations, curing and treating ailments for Imperial family members and Emperors throughout their reigns... ."

"And now... who knew that I would have fallen so low... that I am being asked to treat a bird."

"Dear ancestors... I have failed you all."

"If you are not sure about how to treat Niu," The Emperor coughed lightly, now feeling a bit guilty as he saw the old physician's face turning more pale by each passing second, 

"You can discuss it with your fellow physicians and subordinates."

"But Zhen definitely wants Niu to be healthy and be able to fly again."

That actually brightened the old physician a bit. He faintly thought that if he was to suffer, he would bring as many fellow doctors to be miserable with him. They could all be confused together, trying to treat this bird.

"This lowly one understands," he bowed. He faintly wondered for ways to know if the bird was healthy or sick. After all, how was he supposed to listen to a bird's pulse? If he was to put his head on top of its chest to listen to its heartbeat, would he be pecked?

He had definitely killed an avian animal before - to cook it as an ingredient for a herbal soup. But treating one was definitely unheard of.

Nevertheless, his first task was to bring his peculiar patient to the medicinal hall.

He went outside and relayed a message to Ho gong-gong to call a few of his subordinates from the Palace's medicine hall. Before long, a few more people were escorted inside the study. Their white and light grey robes indicated that they were medicinal practitioners - junior physicians. They were all people under tutelage and employment of Imperial Physician Su, assisting him in his daily tasks inside the Palace.

Physician Su relayed his order to move the bird carefully. One of his disciples asked him in confusion, "Master, is this going to be used as a new medicinal ingredient?"

To which, Physician Su slapped that particular disciple's head crisply, barking his order to not say anymore nonsense in front of the Emperor.

If something bad happened to the bird, he probably would be kicked out of the Palace. Worse, he might lose his life.

After they left, carrying Niu carefully in their arms, the study room was quiet once again. Because of its size, the bird actually needed to be carried by two people. 

"Well, now one matter is done," the Emperor patted JingHan's shoulder,

"Don't worry. Niu will be fine."

"Not worried!", JingHan snorted.

The Emperor chuckled and beckoned for both JingHan and Zhang GuoFu to follow him to get closer to the wooden round table. He took the scroll on top of it, untie the binding, and spread it on the table.

The scroll turned out to be a colored painting of a woman, her hair in braids. The young woman was smiling. Behind the woman, a field of blue poppy flowers could be seen as far as the eyes could see. Towering mountains was painted as mere blurry silhouette to complete the landscape behind the flower field.

Zhang GuoFu could feel blood rushing to his head, as he could recognize the face of the woman on the painting. He furrowed his brow as he faintly muttered,