1.39 Prelude (2)

YuLan was silently observing LanBai who was absentmindedly cleaning her guqin with a piece of cloth. The younger girl's brows were slightly knitted as she carefully wiped the underside of the strings and all curve of the zither.

The both of them were currently inside the music room, where they would be waiting until the time of the performance. HeShan and SunChen would be letting them know when they had to go to the central courtyard - where their performance would take place.

It was one of YuLan's prerequisites: she wanted to keep her contact as minimal as possible with the guests. 

Ideally, she would just perform, then would quietly leave out of sight. 

"LanBai... ," YuLan finally said after contemplating whether or not she should address her issue.

"Hmm?," LanBai answered in a soft humming voice, without even lifting her head.

YuLan gulped a mouthful of saliva. For some reason, talking to this simple girl was a much harder task than talking to SongLi.

"I... I don't think I will like to be in Prince GuoFu's estate."

There, she said it.

Ji LanBai's hand paused, and she finally looked up. Then she giggled,

"Oh... YuLan~...," she smiled widely, "I have asked you a few times. If there is something you saw that you don't like, we can just let Fu-ge know. He will change it for us."

YuLan shook her head, 

"No. What I mean ... - I don't want to enter his estate."

LanBai blinked, not comprehending.

"At all." YuLan emphasized.

There was silence as LanBai's brows were knitted deeper, trying to understand what she meant. She muttered softly,

"Why, YuLan? Don't you like Fu-ge? Don't you want to be with me?"

"I do want to be with you...," YuLan hurriedly walked towards where LanBai was sitting as the latter was looking quite shaken. She did not understand how to deliver her words better so this girl understand.

"Just... not that way... . And not living in a cage... ."

"LanBai... . I like you. I like Prince GuoFu," she squeezed LanBai's hands in both of her palms, "But... Prince GuoFu also ... likes me."

LanBai blinked, "But, that's how it should be, right?"

"LanBai, Prince GuoFu likes me... that way." YuLan carefully muttered.

LanBai blinked again, clear confusion on her face

LanBai blinked again, clear confusion on her face. YuLan somehow felt this task was the most difficult task ever - more than her hard work in having to prepare a professional draft for her business presentation in her past life... .