1.72 Summer Blossoms (2)

Summer festival in Hun'ang was - simply put - a lantern festival. And it was the perfect timing for their group as when they arrived in Hun'ang, the sun had set and night started to take over. The soldiers stayed behind at the house to keep guard.

The streets were filled with lit lanterns and various merchant stalls - all in joyful spirit of the summer-long festival. In this time of year, merchants opened their shops longer, travelers stayed for longer period of time, people spent more money purchasing various items.

YuLan requested SongLi to accompany her to one of the jewellers in the town - causing mild confusion for Xiao Hui as she browsed the stalls outside the shop, more interested in various street food.

"YuLan does not lack jewelleries - the ones given by First Madam Wui Jian Rui were probably enough for her to open her own stall here."

Nevertheless, she let them be. The pair came out after a while, giving Xiao Hui a subtle smile that she could not quite understand, especially after noticing that YuLan had not purchased anything. 

The small matter was soon forgotten off her mind as then they proceeded to spend some time traversing the bustling streets, getting lost in the festivities.

Although the town was buzzing and there were plenty of things to see and do, the main attraction of  festival was a lone temple in the center of the town that had a natural lotus pond. 

The town-folks never cared too much with aesthetic values, but there, nature had done the majority of the work for them, so everyone was in high spirits traversing the temple grounds filled with lanterns and admiring the pond full of blooming lotus.

In the middle of the temple, there was an expansive garden. It was not landscaped by human hands, but the towering trees that were blossoming with white, red, and pink petals created an alluring sight. 

People hung several paper lanterns on the tree branches as well.

The two scholars even bought a weiqi board - of all things - from one of the stalls they had visited just a while ago. They then chose a somewhat quiet spot, taking a lantern from one of the trees to give them enough light to play their game.

 They then chose a somewhat quiet spot, taking a lantern from one of the trees to give them enough light to play their game