1.56 HeShan's care

"Are you absolutely sure?"

HeShan had asked for the fourth time ever since YuLan told him about her intention to leave Ji house.

At the moment, she, Xiao Hui, and HeShan were inside the music room at Liu YangHuan's estate. Ji LanBai, was once again, being tortured by SunChen to drill more literature into her brain.

YuLan sighed lightly, but with a trace of amused smirk on her lips. This particular music teacher of hers was a worrywart.

As she had considered HeShan and SunChen her mentors and close friends as well, of course she had to properly say her farewell. It was against her character to just leave without saying anything.

Doing that to Ji LanBai was already excruciating, but she did not have any other choice. 

"Don't worry, Master HeShan," Xiao Hui puffed her chests and lifted her chin in arrogance, 

"I will be travelling with YuLan. You don't need to worry about anything."

HeShan looked at the chirpy maid blankly, studying her proud expression. He sighed loudly and muttered,

"If anything, I am more worried now... ."

YuLan chuckled. She knew HeShan and SunChen had cared for her and LanBai since they were young. They were probably the closest people she could think of as brothers.

"SongLi will also be accompanying us," YuLan assured. 

"At least for the initial journey." She had tried to convince the young man otherwise, but SongLi had been very stubborn in his decision to accompany her. 

"At least, until you safely reach your initial intended destination", SongLi had said before. YuLan could only acquiesce after some banters. She did not even initially expect any guards to be bestowed to her by Ji ChanFang, but now the heir himself wanted to accompany her.

It would be a lie if she said she did not feel the tiniest warmth from his care, but she knew that her road, his path - they should not be together. He had a lot of things to be responsible for, family to protect, prestige to carry and uphold. 

She, could not, did not want be a part of that kind of world.

Spending more time with him would just cause more heartache.

"But Young Master Ji won't be with you forever," HeShan very helpfully reminded.

There was a pang inside her heart. She tried to mask the annoyed glare she accidentally threw at the oblivious scholar, and quickly eased her furrowing eyebrows.

"JingMo will be with us!" Xiao Hui chirped in.

YuLan let out another low sigh. Since Xiao Hui decided to follow her, of course Xiao Hui had to tell JingMo as well.

YuLan would be stupid if she did not notice that Xiao Hui had a massive crush on the man.

She did not know JingMo's background, apart from their several encounters ever since the Lian house' pond incident, but she could observe that at least, he was a kind person to Xiao Hui. 

Regardless, it would be good for Xiao Hui as well if JingMo tag along - he was strong and he cared for her.

"This and that is different," HeShan shook his head, "JingMo is still young himself. I won't be at ease if... ," he paused, putting his fingers on his chin. Not long after, his face brightened,

"I shall go with you as well then!"

YuLan blinked at him, "Go with us, as in 'until we settle somewhere', or 'indefinitely'?", she tilted her head.