Questions and Answers

I winced. Dammit, Alya was smart. She was a Fox, after all. I should've factored that in. I decided to tell a version of the truth. "I wanted to test you guys. I'm Alya's best friend - I see a lot of the raw, unedited Ladyblog footage. It looks like the only reason Chat doesn't know Ladybug's identity and vice versa is Ladybug is against it. I wanted to see if you were as against it as she is."

Alya was quiet, but didn't push the matter. I nearly sighed in audible relief. Chat asked me suddenly, "What do you think of Rena and I?"

"Well Chat... you're honestly funny, a tad bit annoying, but adorable in a kitty kind of way. You... Ladybug couldn't defeat akumas if it wasn't for you. You're underappreciated, and loyal." I spoke from the heart, refusing to look at him. "And Al-Rena! RENA ROUGE! You're... um... you're very powerful and you're funny and trustworthy and Ladybug did well in choosing you as a superheroine to fight by your side!" I said.

Chat narrowed his eyes. "What were you about to say?"

I laughed nervously.

Chat Noir's POV

There's only one person Mari has ever mentioned who has 'Al-' at the beginning of their name. And she's been acting strangely around Rena... Despite what they think, I'm not dumb. And evidently Mari knew it, too. "You were about to say Alya Cesaire." I said with even certainty.

"Whaaaaat? No..." she said nervously.
Rena stared her down.

My last piece of evidence fell into place. "Rena?" I said uncertainly.

"Here's my question: how do you know who I am?" She directed it towards Marinette.

"Holy hell, Re-Alya. But why does she know?"

Marinette's POV

Oh... crap. What the hell did I do? I tried to back away. They simultaneously turned to me. "Now, where are you going, Marinette/Princess?" they said in unison.

"I... I just looked at her and it clicked. Rena reminds me of Alya. Did I hit the nail on the head?"

"But... but you tried to cover it up." Of course Alya noticed that.

"What are you trying to imply?"

"Let me see your earrings." Alya stepped in close and took a look at my ears. "There are no earrings." she stared, eyes wide. "How long have you known?"

"Since you became Rena." I said sheepishly. Technically I hadn't lied.

"How?"

"I was going to find you when I lost track of the last two copies of the Sapotis, but you were with Ladybug. And then I heard her give you - the Miraculous of the Fox? - and I stayed frozen in the shadows. Your kwami Trixx is pretty cute. Can I meet her?" I smiled bashfully.

Chat broke in. "Ladybug is usually pretty careful about things like this. Wow. Can I see you detransform?"

Alya crossed her arms. "Have you forgotten, Chat? Hawk Moth could be watching us have this discussion. I can't detransform in front of Marinette, or he'll go after Trixx and I."

Alya's fox ears pricked. "Wait." Her necklace began to glow brightly. Orange-coloured sparks rippled outwards from the Miraculous. The magical sparks danced through every part of her body. When it reached her eyes, they emitted bright orange light for a moment. Then I saw bright purple irises in place of her normally sparkling caramel ones.