Chapter 58: Flipping Switches

***

"Now, Group 1 in the Men's Singles Short Program is about to take to the ice," The host spoke. Victor and I watch the program on the television inside the lounge. We'd rather stay here with Yuuri than to watch the others perform live on ice.

"First up is Phichit Chulanont from Thailand, age 20. After placing fourth in Skate America, the first Grand Prix Series Event, he'll need to place second or higher here in order to qualify for the finals."

The music began and it sounds so familiar. I try my best to remember what it is and where it's from.

"The music is 'Shall We Skate?' from The King and the Skater. The audience is already clapping to the familiar theme," the host said.

Okay, now I remember. Victor and I performed a pair skating version of this one before. But this is the first time a skater from Thailand skated to this music if I'm correct.

"The King and the Skater was the first movie he saw, and it's had a big influence on him. His first planned jump is a triple axel."

Phichit did and nailed the triple axel. At the corner of my eye, I see Yuuri doing some stretches. I walked over to him and asked what's on his mind.

"Phichit said he wanted to skate to this music for a long time. He's giving everything he has to this season," Yuuri said.

"Then that gives you all the more reason to give it your all as well," I replied. I looked back at the television to continue watching Phichit. I can feel that he skates as if the music is his, and from how he performs, it is his.

"More jumps are on the way as his program enters its second half. The first is a combination."

It was a triple Lutz, followed by a triple toe loop.

"Now we have a jump added to the second half to secure a win... the quadruple toe loop."

Sadly, Phichit fell and was not able to do the toe loop. It would have been cool if he was able to do it but he got enough rotations in. He got up immediately, so his program's proceeding.

"Following this, he'll do a combination spin."

The audience claps in harmony together with the music as they watch Phichit. He's got the entire audience on his side.

A moment later, Yuuri stopped warming up and stood beside me to watch. "He's made the music his own..." he said.

Phichit's program came to an end and it was followed by a huge round of applause. "An amazing performance by Phichit Chulanont! His short program score is 86.75! It's his new best by a large margin!"

"Next is a skater who made a grand debut in the first event, Skate America, by finishing third. Here's Guang-Hong Ji from China, age 17, now competing on his home turf. He is skating to 'La Parfum des Fleurs.'"

Guang-Hong reminds me of Yuri. I wonder how he's doing. I heard he placed second in Skate Canada where Leroy placed first.

The music started. It was so calming. The sound of the violin is pleasant. "His first planned jump is a quadruple toe loop, which was just added to his roster this year."

He landed it! That's good for someone who just added it this year. "(Y/n)," Yuuri called. I hummed in response and looked at him.

"After seeing Phichit-kun's performance, I'm no longer unsure," he began. "People who want to see you and Victor skate will never be satisfied with my skating. The people who're cheering for me wouldn't be satisfied with the old me, either. If that's the case, I want to be hated as the man who took Victor and (y/n) from the whole world!"

Yuuri bowed and started jogging around the hallway. I smiled to myself and looked at Victor, who was looking at Yuuri and I a while ago.

What those two girls said before was true. Being a coach decreases my chances of going back to skating. It's been a few years but my supporters and a whole lot more people in the figure skating world still hope and wait for my return. I've read people's opinions ever since I left. They still continue to tell me that it will never be too late for the queen to go back to her kingdom and that she will be always be welcomed there.

Victor walked over to my side and threw his arm over my shoulder. "Don't overthink what those girls said." He knew what I was thinking.

"By the way, have you seen that picture Phichit uploaded?" He asked happily.

I raised an eyebrow at him in response. "You seem happy about it."

"We looked cute!"

"If being half-naked in a resto, kissing your girlfriend is cute then okay."

"Well, okay maybe the being naked in a resto part is not cute, but kissing you is!"

I gave out a chuckle and was about to reply when Chris pressed close, squishing me between him and Victor.

"(Y/n), is Yuuri alright?" Chris asked.

"Shh!" I shushed Chris. "This is the first time Yuuri has been so motivated."

"I've never seen Yuuri like this," Victor said.

Guang-Hong's performance is about to end. Yuuri is up next. "If you'll excuse us," I told Chris and called Yuuri. "Let's go!" I told Yuuri.

I waved at Chris before Yuuri, Victor and I made our way inside. Just in time, the audience is applauding for Guang-Hong as he makes his way out of the rink.

The hosts announce his score as Victor and I take care of Yuuri. He removed his tracksuit, folded it neatly and placed it on the bench.

Yuuri got in the rink and skated towards Victor and I. "The last skater from Group 1 is Katsuki Yuuri from Japan," the host called.

"The time to seduce the audience by picturing pork cutlet bowls and women during your skate is over. You can fight with your own personal charm," Victor said.

"Your personal charm will make you shine brighter than pork cutlet bowls and women," I added. "You can envision it just fine, can't you?"

Yuuri reached for my hand and Victor's and placed them together, making Victor and I hold each other's hand. "Don't ever take your eyes off me," he told us and made his way to the center.

"He's far too different today. What's flipped his switch?" Victor asked.

I gave him a smile and shrugged, "Who knows?"